Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:12 PM   #11

Well,certainly not with regards lens mechanism protection. The older type also gave the S2/3/5 a nice feel and a comfortable hold.
The new system simply is for photographic purposes- to add a hood to avoid potential flare,or to add polarizers,UV,ND filters etc...
The older system was very handy for adding tele-converters,as there was no extra weight on the lens mechanisms- and could be removed in an instant.
I guess Canon considered that 840mm on the SX40 was enough for anyone...!!
Perhaps that's why Panasonic still use this system on their FZ200- giving you the option to exceed the 600mm max zoom- with the added bonus of barrel protection..!

Last edited by SIMON40; Feb 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:28 PM   #12

Hi Simon,
Thanks again. I was also looking at the Casio EX-FH25, which has also received good reviews. Do you know anything about this camera?
.... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:36 AM   #13

The Casio's forte is it's high speed frame rate- shooting up to a rather swift 30 fps- albeit for less than a second- or for 2 secs or so if you drop to 15 fps.
None of which is any good if the AF performance isn't up to scratch.
By all accounts,however it's ok- though one or two have expressed concerns with the AF at full zoom, struggling to lock onto a subject- maybe manually selecting the AF frame would help..?
AA battery's have never been my choice of power- but so long as you have quality re-chargeables there shouldn't be a problem.
Image quality is an interesting one- the lens doesn't appear quite as sharp as some(though could be down to processing), though if you don't intend to print large sizes you could argue that the images look "clean", and I actually quite like the look- with little digital artifacts showing up- almost akin to a film like texture. I've also seen far worse at high iso settings. Start up time is not the quickest however,though not too much of an issue unless you're always trying to grab quick,spontaneous candid shots.
I've also heard that this camera doesn't zoom during video recording- though don't quote me on this- I may be wrong- but it might be worth scouring the web on this score if you intend to shoot quite a bit of video.
Another issue for me is the menu based PASM adjustment- I wish it was on the mode dial as opposed to being menu based... fast capture is one thing,but being able to make adjustments quickly is also important...
Reviews-
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ca...a-review-14514

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...25-review.html

Last edited by SIMON40; Feb 4, 2013 at 3:39 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:31 PM   #14

Wow!! You should be writing reviews Simon. Since I'm not going to get the best I've had to think about what I really want, over and above my beloved S5, which for the most part does what I want, except perhaps for movies, and low light shooting (which is a big one). I also like the option of using AAs, as opposed to buying the manufacturer's packs. (I have 8 very good Eneloops, four in my camera, and four I carry. They just go on and on.)
One last review, if you would. I was looking at the reviews on the SX1, and they seem pretty good. This looks like an S5 on steroids, and should give me what I want, if I can afford it. What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
... john
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:53 AM   #15

The SX1 was Canon's first foray into the small cmos sensor powered bridge camera- locking horns with Sony's HX1 cmos bridge.
If you really want/need the HD video then the SX1 would seem to make sense as would the 4fps continuous shooting. However, I wasn't convinced it produced better IQ than its CCD brother, the SX10is- in fact I think it wasn't as good,albeit at pixel peeping level- and if still images were your priority,I'd go with the SX10is.
In fact the Sony HX1 might be worth a look also if you want HD movie capture- and it also offers burst shooting of 10 fps..! A nice large 3" screen too..!
However,doesn't use AA batteries and no flash hotshoe... but it's handheld twilight mode can offer pretty decent low light shots and its panoramic facility appeals to some...

Back to the SX1- HD video capture over your S5 and a longer zoom,plus 4 fps shooting- but no real gain in IQ....
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:35 PM   #16

Hi Simon,
I haven't been ignoring you; but, as is my habit, I'm having trouble making a decision as to what to get. All the cameras we discussed have features that I don't like, so ...... I'm waffling. This S5 is a very addictive camera. It has all the features I like, but I would like something that will give me better picture, video, wide angle, and macro quality, without sacrificing the flexible screen (not the pull out screen as some cameras have, that doesn't look good for difficult angles) and AA batteries. Thanks again for listening. I'll let you know when I find something I like.
..... john
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:02 PM   #17

I think there are a few cam's out there that have the photographic tools and capabilities you need- though I think the "AA" power will be the one and only sacrifice- so maybe that's not too bad...??
The Canon SX30(or improved SX40) or Panasonic's FZ100(or the improved FZ150- which I own) seem to fit the bill for a used buy.
If you really want to stick with "AA" power, Fuji's HS10/20/30 might be worth a look- though the screens only tilt up and down and being a manually operated zoom,nigh on useless for video- never mind the suspect AF during video capture...!!
Perhaps the SX1 or SX10 might suffice after all- you retain the AA's,a wider angle lens and more zoom- and in the case of the SX1- HD video.
Olympus's SP590uz also retains AA's- but has no tilt screen or HD video...
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:52 PM   #18

Thank you all for your help, but especially Simon40, for taking the time to help and advise me. I ended up buying a Panasonic DMC FZ-150 to replace my aging Canon S5is. I have only had it a couple of weeks now, but already it's showing signs of being everything it's cracked up to be.
Thanks again,
..... john
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:08 AM   #19

thanks for the update, and glad you found your camera. i loved my FZ150, and it was a very versatile camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Thank you all for your help, but especially Simon40, for taking the time to help and advise me. I ended up buying a Panasonic DMC FZ-150 to replace my aging Canon S5is. I have only had it a couple of weeks now, but already it's showing signs of being everything it's cracked up to be.
Thanks again,
..... john
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 2:27 PM   #20

Hi pcake,
Do you know where I can get a short strap for this camera, so that I can hold it in one hand?
Thanks,
...... john