Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:20 AM   #1

Default similar to Canon S5is

Hi all,
I currently have a Canon S5is and would like to upgrade to a better camera, not an SLR, because I think that would be out of my price range. I'm quite prepared to buy used ..... in the $200 range, and age is not a problem. I like the features that the S5 has: megazoom, reticulating screen, AA batteries, full control; but would like better low light, wider angle, clearer pics, and better movies.
Thanks,
..... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Jan 31, 2013 at 9:25 AM.
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:59 PM   #2

I guess the obvious answer is to look at successors to this camera-as you want used within your price either the SX20is from 2009,or the sx10is its predecessor-both are available on eBay and may come within your budget.Reviews can be found on this site so you can check you are happy with the spec:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...is-review.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...is-review.html
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:32 AM   #3

Of all the S/SX series (and I've had a few...!) the SX40 comes out on top for low light use,with very acceptable results at high iso settings. Plus you get your wide 24mm lens and the not too shabby 840mm telephoto reach..! I also found the movie capture to be very good- even the standard VGA option..! Whether you can get one in your budget remains to be seen- and of course,you lose the AA battery option...
Here's some SX40 high iso shots...
The bird is iso 1000,the cathedral vaulting iso 3200 and the girl and guitar at iso 1600....
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:09 AM   #4

Thanks JPW/Simon,
Simon ...... These are excellent pictures .... very impressive. This looks like the camera for me. One question....... how expensive are the battery packs, and how well do they stand up?
Since I posted my original query I've been doing net comparisons, and the SX40 comes out on top of almost all non SLRs. The other camera that seemed to get good reviews is the DMC FZ-200. CNET gave it very high reviews.
Does this site have a buy and sell forum?
Thanks again for your help.
..... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Feb 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:35 AM   #5

With regards battery packs- I only ever had the original battery and was never caught short, offering very good life between charges.
As for replacements- you can get non original replacements from as little as £5,up to £20 for a quality Energizer replacement, with a Canon original for about £35 ish...
The FZ200 reviews well,mostly due to its fast f/2.8 lens- negating the need to use high iso settings so often in compromising lighting. In addition,it's fast- with quick AF and burst capability- great for sports shooters on a budget..! It also offers excellent movie capture capabilities. Sadly,the FZ200 comes in at quite a bit over your budget.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:30 AM   #6

Hi Simon,
Thanks again for your help. I have a line on a ('infrequently' used) sx40. It sounds like a good price, and includes a couple of filters,an extra battery, bag, etc. He doesn't however mention a lens hood. Wouldn't he need that for the filters?
..... john
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:43 AM   #7

You will need an adapter to attach filters to the SX40hs- the hood is merely to prevent lens flare- though if he is supplying a lens hood,I'm guessing he has the adapter necessary- as it attaches to the same adapter needed for filter attachment.
There are two types available- one is for attaching 67mm filters and another for attaching 58mm filters.
67mm....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Filter-6...-/360403633454
58mm....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Canon-...item5647e263dc

Maybe drop the seller a line/e-mail and ask as to which type of adapter he has.
The SX40 has what appears to be a filter thread on the lens barrel- but it isn't one- and trying to directly attach a filter may damage the end of the lens or get stuck even...!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:39 AM   #8

Hi Simon,
Thank you again for your valuable advice. I will definitely want something to protect the barrel, in case I accidentally open it, say in my case, and jam it. When I bought the S5 the first thing I did was 'make' a barrel protector, so that that couldn't happen. Yes... screwing things onto the end of the barrel would not seem like a good idea. Thanks for the heads up.
He's asking a very reasonable price, but I just haven't decided to take the plunge yet.
.... john
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:47 AM   #9

The adapter on the SX40HS is different to the S2/3/5, in that the older type adapter protected the extending lens barrel- whereas the newer adapter actually clicks onto the outer side of the extending lens barrel.
So,whilst your glass is protected,the barrel is not..!!
That type of protective adapter is the preserve of the FZ Panasonics- like my FZ150....

Last edited by SIMON40; Feb 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:17 PM   #10

"So,whilst your glass is protected,the barrel is not..!!" Wow! That doesn't seem too bright.
..... john

Last edited by Shinnen; May 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM.