Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:20 AM   #21

I was able to go and play with a couple more cameras. And now is where the compromising starts. The first thing I noticed is I want a view finder. The second is that I don't want to carry extra lenses. Keep in mind this is a completely personal preference.

I was able to track down the Nikon V2. It took a minute to get used the EVF. It felt a little small and the kit 10-30 lens just doesn't have the zoom I want. I know I can get the 2 lens package, but this is where I've decided that I really don't want to carry additional lenses. I know there is the 10-100 lens available, but i'd rather put that money into lenses for my D90.

The kite lens on the E-PL5 and E-PM2 was nice. I was playing with the E-PL5. While I didn't ask about trying the view finder, if felt great in hand. My only complaint was that I felt a little limited when at full zoom.

The last one on my short list was the FZ200. I have a couple of places to call today to see if they have one. I may end up ordering it from Coscto, because of their free shipping and the "I don't like this" return to store policy.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:56 AM   #22

In case anyone else is following this thread. I have ordered the FZ200 from Costco. It should be in next week.

The only other camera that I tried (and is worth commenting on in this thread) was the RX100. I was very impressed by the feature set and the image quality as seen on the LCD. It felt very small to me. Like I said above, I really don't want to give up my view finder.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:49 PM   #23

Congratulations! You'll get excellent aervice out of the FZ200. Even if you eventually move on to other cameras, it will be worth hanging onto.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by estill View Post
In case anyone else is following this thread. I have ordered the FZ200 from Costco. It should be in next week.

The only other camera that I tried (and is worth commenting on in this thread) was the RX100. I was very impressed by the feature set and the image quality as seen on the LCD. It felt very small to me. Like I said above, I really don't want to give up my view finder.
I look forward to hearing how you like the FZ200.

The RX100 is a pretty near the top of the heap for P&S at this point.

I happened to have been on Steve Huff Photo and did read his review of the Nikon V1. I know it kind of got tossed aside initially but after reading his review and seeing that you can get a two lens kit for $399 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Ni...DFF/d10-v1-t12

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/1...ected-to-hate/
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:43 PM   #25

I was thoroughly impressed with the V2. While I haven't read the Steve Huff review, the V1 appears to be the better choice technically. The $339 price tag makes it that much better.

In all honestly I will probably concede my "I'm not carrying additional lenses" point if the FZ200 fails to meet my expectations.

I don't know if I've said this yet, but my trip is the end of April. So I have time.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:54 PM   #26

I've recently added a V1 to my "kit"... and I'm intrigued that you suggest the V1 being technically a better choice than the V2... of course,price is a BIG difference....
I've found the little V1 to be a useful lightweight "walk about" camera- I just wish I could turn the "image review" off...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:19 AM   #27

I can't remember which review I read but it basically read that the V2 was very similar to the V1 as for sensors and internal processing. The V2 simply included more bells and whistles. Do a side by side comparison on shopping sites, I really don't see anything that would persuade me to go with the V2. Are there any huge technical differences that would make the V2 superior to the V1?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:58 AM   #28

yeah I think the Steve Huff Photo was saying the V2 isn't much of an upgrade and considering the price drop on the V1 it isn't a good idea when you can buy the V1 for half the cost and also can expect the V2 to be about half the cost in a year's time when the V3 comes out.

FWIW it looks like BH is sold out on the two lens bundle but the V1 bundle is still available from tiger direct (shh)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Fckx4AodKzwAIw

After reading the Steve Huff Photo article I was left with a new appreciation for this camera... I would not personally buy it as I am already invested in m43 but if I was invested in a DSLR setup, especially a Nikon one I think it would be a good compliment. As a primary camera though it still falls short on IQ especially the noise part.

All that said it does seem to be the smallest and likely one of the few options that would give you a View Finder, except of course something like the Olympus ZX-1 with the addition of the Olympus VF-2 view finder or the Pansonic Lumix LX-5 or LX-7 and the Panasonic DMW-LVF-1 or DMW-LVF2 view finders. I use the Olympus VF-2 on my E-PL2 and it is a nice 1.44 MP display.

This would give you the compact zoom performance plus the view finder and no extra lenses although people have on occasion reported them falling off the camera, but these tend to be well used examples.

The other advantage is that you can also use the view finder at an angle allowing look down composing.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:49 AM   #29

The FZ200 showed up yesterday. That camera is really hard not to like. I'm still have a problem understanding how the exposure settings do not change while zooming in and out. It felt great in my big hands. The layout of the controls is nice. It is not much smaller than my D90, but it is so much lighter.

For the record I was put on a prescription anti-inflammatory for some knee pain last night, and it made me dizzy. Since we use an exercise ball for our computer chair I stayed on the couch.

I've seen enough pictures out doors and in bright light that I'm not worried about that performance. Every camera I've looked at so far does very well in that arena. So I left only one light on in the living room and snapped pictures of the cat, rabbit and children. The exposures looked good, on the screen, for the lighting levels I had.

The real learning curve I'm see is figuring out the different scene modes and setting up my own custom settings. The context aware menus had me scratching my head a little, but that may have been the medicine.

My only complaint so far is the manual focus. It is not intuitive, and not covered in the basic user manual.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:10 AM   #30

The fact that the exposure settings don't change whilst zooming is what sets this camera apart from all it's competitors... bravo Panny, I say...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote