Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:03 PM   #1

Default Nikon D5200 or Sony A57

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and am in need of some advice. I'm looking at a camera to do record interviews & take pictures with. I'm trying to decide between Nikon's D5200 & Sony's A57. Which camera would ya'll suggest. Thanks in advance.
afro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:23 PM   #2

The Nikon D5200 has a very nice 24MP sensor which produces excellent still images, but the Sony A57 has a slight edge when producing videos. So in that respect,I'd call it a toss up, without knowing more about what you want to do.

I presume the "interviews" would be similar to studio interviews or depositions. What types of photos do you plan to take.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:39 PM   #3

The Sony's kitted up to the ceiling with features(and speed)- not to mention built in IS- cheaper when you want to add lenses.
Despite the Nikon's 24 mp- the sensor shows a very strong set of results in the lab- effectively trumping the Sony in all areas.
Would you be going beyond the supplied kit lenses on either...? I've often found Nikon's low end lenses to be a bit pedestrian in the AF department- I cannot vouch for the Sony kit lens as I've never used one- though would be a shame if the AF wasn't perky,making full use of the cameras speedy performance.
How a camera handles/feels and how intuitive a menu system is and the layout of the buttons/dials etc is a big factor. I've never been comfortable with the Nikon system/layout- preferring Canons systems- though many prefer the Nikon- suggesting that where possible, try before you buy- as we all prefer different things.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Nikon D5200 has a very nice 24MP sensor which produces excellent still images, but the Sony A57 has a slight edge when producing videos. So in that respect,I'd call it a toss up, without knowing more about what you want to do.

I presume the "interviews" would be similar to studio interviews or depositions. What types of photos do you plan to take.
Correct, like studio interviews or those that would be done at a deposition or inside a person's office. I think my photos will be of rallies, sports shots & nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
The Sony's kitted up to the ceiling with features(and speed)- not to mention built in IS- cheaper when you want to add lenses.
Despite the Nikon's 24 mp- the sensor shows a very strong set of results in the lab- effectively trumping the Sony in all areas.
Would you be going beyond the supplied kit lenses on either...? I've often found Nikon's low end lenses to be a bit pedestrian in the AF department- I cannot vouch for the Sony kit lens as I've never used one- though would be a shame if the AF wasn't perky,making full use of the cameras speedy performance.
How a camera handles/feels and how intuitive a menu system is and the layout of the buttons/dials etc is a big factor. I've never been comfortable with the Nikon system/layout- preferring Canons systems- though many prefer the Nikon- suggesting that where possible, try before you buy- as we all prefer different things.
Thanks. I went by 2 stores yesterday & tried both cameras. I was told the Nikon is the better overall camera but the Sony would be better for video & sport shots
Old Feb 16, 2013, 1:33 PM   #5

For a little more money, the Sony A65 has everything that's good about the D5200 and everything that's good about the A57.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
For a little more money, the Sony A65 has everything that's good about the D5200 and everything that's good about the A57.
Thanks. I started to notice that yesterday. What are the odds that an upgrade comes out for the A65 soon?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7

Sony's top-of-the-line products tend to have a much longer life cycle than it's lower level products, which tend to be replaced about every year.

If they do come up with a replacement for the A77/A65, it will probably be to incorporate convenience features like WiFi and PlayMemories, not features that directly affect image quality.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Sony's top-of-the-line products tend to have a much longer life cycle than it's lower level products, which tend to be replaced about every year.

If they do come up with a replacement for the A77/A65, it will probably be to incorporate convenience features like WiFi and PlayMemories, not features that directly affect image quality.
So is the A65 a different class than the D5200?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:41 PM   #9

Within their respective product lines, the A65 is higher up than the D5200.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:35 AM   #10

For anyone buying a Sony Alpha the first thing must be to check for back or front focusing.
My A55 was awful for this and while I was thinking of trading it in I noticed that some A65 users are saying similar things.
If you do a net search you will discover that even Sony's Workshop Check Procedures were not detecting the problem and returning products as fit for purpose.
By now I'd hope that Sony are more stringent but meanwhile I need to dive below the flash and by twiddling 3 screws , hit and miss test and tweak again - I might get it focusing accurately!

I've no knowledge of Nikon DSLRs but I'd hope that final checking was to a higher standard.

Last edited by nippa; Feb 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote