Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:58 PM   #1

Default Camera for Bora Bora

Going to Bora Bora in April. Will be on and off cruise ship plus quite a few adventure excursions like jet ski, atv and boats. We have a Panasonic waterproof DMC-TS20 and a Canon S90. Not interested in a SLR or bridge type interchangeable lens system.

Do you guys think these cameras are sufficient to get great photos or do I need to upgrade? I was thinking maybe the S90 could be upgraded to a faster camera with greater zoom but we have been happy with photos produced and low light performance so if we do I don't want to take a step back.

What are your thoughts? Older models ok if good, I.E seen a new S200EXR for $299, so need to weigh out best camera but also value.

Last edited by Gman75; Feb 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM.
Gman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:12 PM   #2

Yes you should be fine with what you have for you intended propose. The s90 for everything that does not involve water. And the panny for the water stuff.

The question with the s200exr is do you need a superzoom camera. Are you needing a zoom that can take photos of things in the tree line. For landscapes and scenic vista, the canon s90 will do a great job. And for evening and to a degree night stuff, it will do a good job, and the panny will have not problem for shallow water stuff.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:16 PM   #3

Thanks for reply. Only concern was if dolphins or whales etc popped up is s90 quick enough to capture or if quite a distance off will the 3.6x zoom be sufficient?
Gman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 5:04 AM   #4

To be honest unless you are ontop of the whales and dolphins in a boat, you really will not not great shots with a megazoom. The AF is to slow for when they jump out of the water. And when they are in the water, you will not get a good short any why. And when you are ontop of them on a boat, the short zoom is just fine.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:45 AM   #5

The S200exr- whilst a decent camera,the AF isn't quick enough for spontaneous moving subjects- and the continuous shooting was also a bit pedestrian.
If you're looking a a used superzoom/bridge camera that's perky,the Panasonic FZ-150 might suffice. With swift AF and continuous shooting modes it might be just the ticket for Dolphins/Whales showing off their stuff at range.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote