Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The canon and nikon lenses are more expensive, but they are better lenses as well. ...
On a 'Full Frame' body, absolutely, but on an APS-C body I'd actually prefer the Tamron to the Nikon.

Quote:
... but you can mount the tamron 90mm 2.8 on either as well. As Tamron makes a nikon and canon mount version.
True, but the Nikon in this price range uses the same sensor as the Pentax and Sony bodies I mentioned before, but doesn't have the benefit of their image stabilization. And they all outperform the similarly priced Canon bodies that are also not stabilized. Image stabilization isn't much use at 1:1 macro, but at 1:3 and 1:4, having it is better than not having it.

Quote:
With the olympus, you also have the m4/3 leica 45mm 2.8 lens form panasonic, another good option 90mm equivalent. The advantage of m4/3 like olympus is that the dof is not as shallow. So you really do not need to stop down the camera as much to off set the shallow dof. You can shoot at F8 vs F13.
True, the Leica 45mm f/2.8 is a very capable macro lens, but it's also one of those lenses whose cost greatly reduces the amount of funds available to buy a camera, given 3268hamid's budget.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:41 PM   #12

Stabilization is really a none issue at 1:1 macro or with a macro ring or light. So taken that out of the equation. You can go with any dslr brand. All 5 brands mention will work. It comes down to what you are comfort using. Bigger go with a dslr, smaller go with a mirco 4/3. That is what the title of the thread say with ring flash. Not a big deal at 1:2, 1:3 or 1:4.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:55 PM   #13

Just a bit more on the ring flash, metz has a new unit that will not need to be connected to the hotshoe. It is a wireless slave that you can control with a camera where the built in flash can act as a master. Which makes for a simpler setup.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:49 AM   #14

i bought a Marumi DRF14 ring flash for my nikon D90 and i must say it does a very good job and using it is a doddle, put your camera in manual select a shutter speed and a aperture and let the flash do the rest.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote