Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:14 AM   #1

Default macroshot camera with ring flash

Hi and good evening everyone,
would you please kind enough and let me know the best macro-shot digital camera with ring flash attachment capability.
thanks
3268hamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:27 AM   #2

What do you want to shoot?

How much do you want to spend?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:33 AM   #3

Actually,I am going to capture skin ulcer images (diabetic foot ulcers).
my budget is around 1300 us dollar.
I should mention that the ability to attach ring flash is important as much as macro-shot capability in my research.
thanks
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:30 AM   #4

Ring Flashes as well as Ring Lights would work well for that kind of work, but I'd add that using a Ring Light will make composition easier, as it provides light prior to the exposure. Given what you want to shoot may be poorly illuminated prior to the flash firing, you might get better results with a Ring Light.

For a camera, I'd suggest you get something with a long focal length lens (about 100mm) so you get a good depth of field and a good working distance between the lens and the subject. Here, however, there's the potential of exceeding your budget unless we tread lightly. Tamron's 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro Lens (~$450) performs quite well, but it's not stabilized, so you might want to consider putting it on a stabilized body from either Pentax or Sony. Sony's A37 ($498) and A57 ($498), and Pentax K-30 ($619) and K-5 ($739), all have the excellent 16MP image sensor from Sony, and if you want to push it a little, you might consider Sony's A65 ($698) with the 24MP sensor.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 23, 2013 at 9:32 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:38 AM   #5

Or you can go with an olympus m4/3 body and their 60mm macro and go with their marco light attachment. The olympus macro light is 60 buck normally, the 60mm macro lens has is equal to a 120mm macro lens on full frame. And it has in body stabilization.

If you go with a macro light on a dslr, stabilization is really not that important. You can keep the shutter speed at 1/100 to 1/250 and you will not have any stabilization issues with low iso settings. As the macro ring flash or light will provide enough light.

That way you are not limited to pentax and sony. You can look at the canon and nikon options as well. And they both have excellent macro lenses as well.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:19 AM   #6

The Olympus 60mm macro lens is very sharp, but it does have more than a little chromatic aberration which could insert color fringes in 3268hamid's images of skin ulcers which are likely to have their own kinds of fringes.

And while Canon's and Nikon's lenses are also very good, they're much more expensive than the Tamron I mentioned, which would consume much of 3268hamid's budget, not leaving much for a camera body.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:20 AM   #7

Hi everyone,
I would like to thank your kind attention.I still have a question about ring light, that is I am not familiar with the brands in the market.
would you please let me know how I can prepare the ring light for my research.
with many thanks
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:58 AM   #8

A Ring Light is just like a Ring Flash, except that it has an on/off switch you control and that you can turn on for composing and that you turn off after you've taken all your shots. Ring Flashes only come on when you fully depress the shutter button, so the rest of the time, you're in the dark while you compose. Ring Flashes tend to be brighter than Ring Lights, but don't last as long. They both mount onto the filter mounting ring of the lens.

There are only a handful of companies that make these things, but lots of companies put their names on them. Ring Lights tend to be a little less expensive than Ring Flashes, but they are often more useful.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:11 PM   #9

Good Ring flash are full TTL, cheap ones are full manual. I would go with a good metz ring flash if you go the route of a ring flash.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:18 PM   #10

The canon and nikon lenses are more expensive, but they are better lenses as well. It is a give and take, but you can mount the tamron 90mm 2.8 on either as well. As Tamron makes a nikon and canon mount version.

With the olympus, you also have the m4/3 leica 45mm 2.8 lens form panasonic, another good option 90mm equivalent. The advantage of m4/3 like olympus is that the dof is not as shallow. So you really do not need to stop down the camera as much to off set the shallow dof. You can shoot at F8 vs F13.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM.