Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2013, 5:57 PM   #11

Oh boy...this gets even more complicated

Ok so let me get this straight most are going the dslr route BUT only providing I get a good lens (not one of the kit lenses).

If not, then go the superzoom route?

What's video like on low end dslr's? Is it possible to zoom and does it autofocus or am i asking too much? For that matter do superzooms do these ???
mssurrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:13 PM   #12

Here is a goof way to look at this. A dSLR will give you a bigger sensor, and glass tailored to a specific purpose. That combination will result in a superior image to be captured. Bridge cameras are a compromise of what the manufacturer thinks you want.

As for comparing zoom, autofocus, video, etc. This site is a great place to begin your comparison. Read the reviews and ask questions in the forums. When you have narrowed down the features you want, then try to find specific cameras in a store and play around with them.

That said I'm the one that started the Disneyland thread a little further down in this forum. I have a slightly older dSLR and my wife's point and shoot. My goal was a compact system for travel. I ended up with the FZ200 simply because it was the best compromise of features. The two that it came down to for me was the view finder and not changing lenses. I be very happy with the mirrorless systems out there if I was willing to carry a second lens. Keep in mind these are very small lenses when compared to a dSLR. Go to page 3 of that thread and you can find a link to the Nikon V1 from Tiger with the dual lens kit.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssurrey View Post
What's video like on low end dslr's? Is it possible to zoom and does it autofocus or am i asking too much? For that matter do superzooms do these ???
All superzooms should autofocus when zooming taking movies.Most low end DSLRs do not,though the situation is changing.The Canon 650d/Rebel T4i when used with new STM lenses does,but they make the purchase pretty expensive when compared to a top spec superzoom.From a review I read not long ago I'm not sure it works very well anyway.

DSLR movie quality should generally be higher,though you do nedd to read reviews and check the spec of whatever camera you are looking at.

The Panasonic CSCs do autofocus when zooming taking movies,particularly well when used with 14-140 lens used by Ozzie_Traveller.
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:50 AM   #14

focusing while zoom is a consumer level thing only. Pro end uses will always shoot video with manual focus, then retake the shots with different focus and edit them together on the computer.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW2020 View Post
The Canon 650d/Rebel T4i when used with new STM lenses does,but they make the purchase pretty expensive when compared to a top spec superzoom.From a review I read not long ago I'm not sure it works very well anyway.
I think that's going to be the crux of the matter.
As I don't need to publish anything (in print or for social media), and my pics/vids are purely for personal use either as 6x4 or viewing on my computer, does it make sense to get a dslr ?

I'm Ok with a low end dslr IF they do what I need with a single lens (as I stated i don't want to lug around multiple lenses) - and as long as they don't get to silly money (for me). I'll look into the t4i and the lens mentioned by OT and see what it works out to but I have a feeling that superzooms may do what i want without either breaking my back or the bank
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:40 PM   #16

As I don't need to publish anything (in print or for social media), and my pics/vids are purely for personal use either as 6x4 or viewing on my computer, does it make sense to get a dslr ?

For your stated purpose, a super zoom camera would be ideal. I have an SLR w/multiple lenses, a Canon SX40 HS bridge, and a Panasonic ZS8 compact point and shoot. Each serves its purpose. I have several 20X30 pics of my granddaughter and my dog, that I took with the SLR.The bigger sensor, and shallower depth of field was my reason for using the SLR. For all else, and at most focal lengths, it's hard to tell the difference between cameras. I am planning a trip to Sturgis, South Dakota on July. and will only be taking the canon. It gives me 24-840mm zoom range. Usable iso up to 1600(for small prints), and 1080p HD video. I don't think I will even take the Sony this trip.

When I bought the Canon, I strongly looked at getting the FZ200, based on reviews and comparisons. The reason I went for the canon is that I could play with it in the store, and the Panasonic I could not, because no one carried them here.

If I could only choose one camera, to do what you want it to, it would be the FZ200.

In fact, since getting the canon, I hardly use the DSLR much these days. Well, summer's coming...

Here's a shot or two straight out of the camera, a couple of days after I bought it.

This one is at iso 100, 840mm.

Another one straight out of the camera, iso 400, noise almost nonexistent, even when viewed at 100%

Last one, I promise. My dog King. Iso 100, full zoom 840mm.

I know how agonizing it can be trying to choose a camera, but you will make the right choice, I'm sure. Just make sure there is a good return policy in place in case remorse sets in!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:16 PM   #17

HW - those are some nice pictures given that they're striaght out of the box.

From further reading, what about mirrorless cameras such as the panasonic GH3 or Olympus OM-D?
What is the view on CSC/mirrorless/MFT type cameras which seem to have a dslr sensor in a compact body - are these not a good compromise between superzooms and dslr - a sort of 'middle-ground'?

Or is the drawback that one still has to buy multiple lenses albeit for a much smaller body?
Is it not possible to get a good wide to tele lens for these types of camera?

Maybe I should now ask - high end superzoom, or mirrorless mft, or dslr ???

Last edited by mssurrey; Mar 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:36 PM   #18

G'day MS

You ask "are these not a good compromise between superzooms and dslr - a sort of 'middle-ground'? ". Every camera is a series of compromises - but I'm sure that you already know that. Size - weight - features etc etc

My vision of some of the latest CSC jobs is that they are a house-brick-sized lens bolted onto a cigarette-packed sized body [looks odd, got no idea of the ergonomics] but they all fall down coz there is no viewfinder ~ you are left to struggle with that damn viewing screen on the back panel - and we all know what they're like to use when out in the mid-day sun

I come back to the post above [Hawgwild] who also mentions one of your key points. I would suggest you either get the Panny FZ200 or if you want a 'compact dSLR' the Panny G2/G3 + its 14-140 lens and start to enjoy makin' movies

Regards, phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:04 PM   #19

I use a mft as my main travel camera. I have a 14-150mm lens 90% of the times. I put the view finder on it, but my wife likes using the lcd instead. They are getting better and better. The single shot AF of say the epl5 or the omd are super fast, but still not a action AF system. After the first shot they have issues tracking.

I like the image quality of the larger sensor over the compact sensor of the superzoom. Especially when pass 400so.