Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:49 AM   #1

Default What would you do in my situation? Return my Nikon D800?

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here in the forums but from all the good things I have heard about this place I believe it could be the start of something great! So, allow me to tell you a little bit about myself and my situation and I'm sure someone will be able to easily help me out!

I work as a freelancer, shooting with the Nikon D800 to do things like music videos and other web based videos.

(If you want to skip my lame excuses for why I have a Nikon D800 and I am thinking about returning it skip this paragraph!)
I was put into a real grind when my partner suddenly moved out of state without telling me. He left me with a bunch of work to do and I was put into a state of extreme turmoil to say the least. I ended up sacrificing a lot of sleep to keep some of the clients he had left me stranded with. Along with all this though... I needed a camera very quickly as I had a client who needed filming; what did I do? Went out and bought the Nikon D800, because it was the same camera I was using with my previous partner.

After a couple responses for my "Need Video Partner" in craigslist and talking to them about what I want to be doing, I had two people tell me that the Nikon D800 was not the camera for me and that in my situation I should have a totally different setup. "You want to make music videos not Bill Board advertisements on the side of the highway... The Nikon D800 isn't the camera for you!" -Random guy I met off craigslist who seemed fairly knowledgeable with cameras

I bought the camera from Best Buy on the 21st of February and they have a 30 day return policy giving me until March 23. I ended up not even using the camera for the client I bought it for and now have about 30 - 50 shots on it all taken around my house just playing around with it so I'm sure I can return it.

What do you guys think about that? But wait, before you begin to pitch out camera options hear my out just a bit more!

I really don't have that much money to work with... Although I made it seem like I could just go and snatch a $3000 camera in a flash, I really did have to pour my heart out to a good friend to borrow the money... So, with that being said, perhaps there is a cheaper camera that can shoot some real nice music videos so I could be left with some room for better equipment elsewhere; for example, a better computer, a couple more lenses, etc, etc...
Someone even said that a Canon 60D would be enough for what I am looking for; I'd love to know all your opinions on this. Summed up, what would you guys do if you had about $3000 and you wanted to shoot some music videos for people. I can hold off a bit on the steadicam and the fish angle lens, and I have a friend who is letting me borrow a really nice tripod right now. (Not to say that if somehow I could fit my own into a $3000 budget I wouldn't want to buy one.)

This should be enough information for a place to start, any help would be really appreciated! If you have any questions I'll be happy to further explain anything! Thanks!

Luke!

Last edited by MarsKid; Mar 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM.
MarsKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:23 AM   #2

Nikon 60D...? Don't you mean Canon 60D...or the Nikon D600...
If budget is an issue and movie capture is a big part of your work maybe look at Sony's SLT models- by all accounts they're pretty good at movie capture and in-built IS will keep lens costs down....
Staying with Nikon, apparently the D3200 is pretty good in the movie dept' also...
One thing to bear in mind- if you drop to a APS-C sized sensor, your wide angle lens options drop a bit... especially fast ones...

Last edited by SIMON40; Mar 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3

You might want to consider the Panasonic GH3, it is a very capable video on a budget camera.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...i-says-coppola

My tendency is to question why you would go with a traditional DSLR which is great for taking stills if your only need is video?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Nikon 60D...? Don't you mean Canon 60D...or the Nikon D600...
If budget is an issue and movie capture is a big part of your work maybe look at Sony's SLT models- by all accounts they're pretty good at movie capture and in-built IS will keep lens costs down....
Staying with Nikon, apparently the D3200 is pretty good in the movie dept' also...
One thing to bear in mind- if you drop to a APS-C sized sensor, your wide angle lens options drop a bit... especially fast ones...
Oh man.. Yeah I meant the Canon I'm sorry.

Quote:
My tendency is to question why you would go with a traditional DSLR which is great for taking stills if your only need is video?
Well as I said, I was leaving the decision to my previous partner and he went with the D800; I'm assuming because it has very good low light capabilities and the fact that it's a traditional DSLR allows for us to do a picture or time lapse if need be. It is only now I'm investigating this for myself and questioning whether it is the best option for my situation.
MarsKid is offline   Reply With Quote