Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:05 AM   #1

Default Nikon P510 vs Canon SX50HS for indoors

Hello,
Can anyone help me decide which would be the better indoor performer between these two models? I am looking for a better "moderate use" camera that will be used for vacations, etc but want something decent for indoors as well. We do not use cameras to a great extent but want something good for indoors for the wife. She also wants a good performer with a nice zoom.

Thanks for any help.
Parrot-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:14 AM   #2

When you say "indoor use"... what type of pics are we talking about...?
General snaps,with flash,would be fine... without flash,I'd suggest the Canon's sensor/processor is superior- though neither would be purchased on the strength of this type of shooting alone...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:22 AM   #3

Yes, probably general indoor family shots in flash range. Would probably be some indoor
(school gym) type settings that would be out of flash range as well.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:43 PM   #4

The indoor/gym type of shooting would be a "no go" area for either of the two mentioned.
Fast moving subjects in indoor lighting is beyond the AF systems,small sensor and processors found in bridge/super-zoom cameras and the lenses are too slow.
The only bridge/super-zoom camera you could make a case for indoors would be the Panasonic FZ-200, simply because it has a fast lens (wide aperture), maintaining it's f/2.8 aperture (if you wish) across its 25-600mm zoom range, thus allowing far more light in- giving the AF system a chance to work and possibly enabling enough of a shutter speed to be used (with a high iso setting) to capture a moving target.
Even with all this in the FZ's favour- it is still not the environment of choice for this type of camera- and expectation levels for stills would have to be "forgiving"....
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:23 AM   #5

I guess I need to further advise indoor shots won't be so much sports action oriented as I go for indoor band pictures more than sports. Some video here and there but mostly still pictures.

I saw a thread where you had posted an indoor closeup shot with an SX40 of someone playing the guitar and thought that was a great looking shot. Will this camera be capable of producing equal quality?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:40 AM   #6

Indoor band type shots would probably be fine with either camera suggested- as they won't be moving too quickly- and quite often spotlighting found on stages helps.
I've no reason to suggest why either the Canon SX50hs or the Nikon P510 couldn't pull it off- though I'd favour the Canon because I think the sensor/processor combo is the same as found in the SX40hs.
Again,the Panasonic FZ200 should be considered because of it's light gathering powers being superior to the opposition... though I'm aware the Panny is more expensive...
If on a budget- why not consider the Canon SX40hs also.... some bargains to be had now...
Some others with the SX40hs...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...zoom-demo.html