Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:38 AM   #11

There is no difference between FX lenses and DX lenses, except that DX lenses can't be used on FX bodies. Since all we're talking about are DX bodies, the distinction is meaningless.

The Canon T4i is better for shooting video, but the Nikon D5200 (and the D3200) is better for stills. If you think you and/or your wife might make significant use of a dSLR for recording video, I think the Canon package of the T4i with the 18-135 ($800 for both), and the 55-250 ($300) would be the best choice. Best Buy also has a combination deal that includes the T4i, the 18-135 and the 55-250 for $1150, but that's more than the combination of the T4i and the 18-135, plus the 55-250 seperately.

But if you want to go with a Nikon instead, you'd still need an appropriate standard zoom with more range than the 18-55 for use when recording video. BB has Nikon's 18-105 for $400, which would be a good choice. (The 16-85 has less distortion and chromatic aberration, but it has more vignetting and it costs $150 more.) The 18-105 together with the D5200 is available for $1100. Best Buy also has a package deal that includes the D5200, the 18-105, and the 55-300, all for $1350. I think that's a nice combination for you, and at a significant savings.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:52 AM   #12

The other thing about dx bodies like D5xxx or D3xxx in the, are they will not AF with AF series lenses. You need to get a AF-s or AF-i lens to have AF with a dx body. The AF lenses do not have a motor in them. And relied on the bodies AF drive motor to AF. While AF-s and AF-i lenses have a built in motor.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:55 AM   #13

T4i is significantly better for video? where I will notice that?

Just to have that in mind...where is each model made in?

And lenses...where are they usually from?
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
T4i is significantly better for video? where I will notice that?
First, the T4i has more options, features and capabilities than the D5200, when shooting video.

Second, the D5200 only uses contrast detection AF when shooting video, while the T4i also has a phase detection AF system which works better for moving subjects and for panning and zooming.

Quote:
Just to have that in mind...where is each model made in?

And lenses...where are they usually from?
In general, most lenses are made in Japan. And while many higher-end cameras are made in Japan, the models like we're talking about may be made elsewhere in the Pacific Rim, frequently Thailand, Malaysia or China.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Second, the D5200 only uses contrast detection AF when shooting video, while the T4i also has a phase detection AF system which works better for moving subjects and for panning and zooming.
Is this AF system a real improvement??? I've read it is a step forward, but not an ace!

Nikon's AF sytem, based in contrast detection, will make video shooting hard/non-effective?

Quote:
In general, most lenses are made in Japan. And while many higher-end cameras are made in Japan, the models like we're talking about may be made elsewhere in the Pacific Rim, frequently Thailand, Malaysia or China.
I don't know if that matters, but I always check were the stuff in made in.
My G11 is from Japan, and its build quality and feel is excellent.
I handled a Nikon D3200 with 18-55 and both felt "cheap"...but didn't check where it was made.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:07 PM   #16

I'm having some time-shortage right now...but as soon as I could, I will read a little more about T4i and D5200 and suitable lenses...will check budget...and will take a deeper look to your advices...

Anyway, more comments are welcomed!

Do you think it is a good option to include Pentax K-30 or any other brand and model to my shortlist???

I'm close to the D5200, but can't define which lenses to go with....don't know if extend my budget a little more or not...

And when I get close to the decision, I start feeling fear about if I will be capable of manage such DSLR equipment...
I will have to learn a lot - in other words, I have to learn everything!
Something to have in mind when evaluating the camera for its IQ, is that I’m only shooting JPEGs, and not RAWs.

I understand TCav criteria to search for equipment...he always suggests to define your photographic objectives, define which lenses you need for that, and then buy a suitable body capable of dealing well with those lenses...
As far as I don't have a big knowledge concerning photography, don't have big budget, and neither the option of buying staff frequently...I tend to use a little different criteria (if I'm using one...don't know)...I'm picking an entry-level (/mid level???) DSLR, plus 2 or 3 "well-balanced" & non-expensive lenses making an "all-purpose" kit.
Besides that, if getting a considerably better 3 lenses kit costs some extra money (that's why I've said I might evaluate expanding the budget us$ 200/300), I will consider doing that.

Or for example I can evaluate not purchasing a zoom lens such as 55-200/55-300 or 70-300, going with a very good 18-105 or something in that range.
Perhaps you can suggest me some non-Nikon lenses, which might be equal or better, for less/same cost.

Concerning video, I can’t define how often we will shoot video, but I think it won’t define going with Canon or Nikon (perhaps it will weigh more when choosing lenses…isn’t it)…right now I’m shooting video with my Canon G11, so anything will be better!!!

As somebody mentioned before, I want to get the broadest capabilities without exceeding or extending my budget very much.

Please, excuse me for my English skills!!!

Big hug from Argentina!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Is this AF system a real improvement??? I've read it is a step forward, but not an ace!

Nikon's AF sytem, based in contrast detection, will make video shooting hard/non-effective?
Phase detection AF knows which way to adjust the focus, while contrast detection flips a coin. Also, phase detection is faster for moving subjects and while panning and zooming. If you're tracking a moving subject, or you're panning or zooming, the T4i is more likely to keep the subject in focus than the D5200. So, to an extent, shooting video with the D5200 will occasionally be harder.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Phase detection AF knows which way to adjust the focus, while contrast detection flips a coin. Also, phase detection is faster for moving subjects and while panning and zooming. If you're tracking a moving subject, or you're panning or zooming, the T4i is more likely to keep the subject in focus than the D5200. So, to an extent, shooting video with the D5200 will occasionally be harder.
If I go with the T4i...are there any IQ concerns with the STM lenses???
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:06 PM   #19

Honestly, if you are not into the number game, the image quality difference are not noticeable unless you plan to print huge, on a computer screen it really is a moot point even on a 27inch retnia display without cropping in to 100%. Some buy cameras with the numbers as the sole factor. But unless you are that into pixel peeping the IQ between the T4i and the D5200 is a hot air debate when it comes to real world uses.

Both cameras has pros and cons. As stated the D5200 has a bit better paper stats. The t4i has better video ability. Lens, the T4i will AF with all Eos lenses, the D5200 you need to stay with lenses with built in motors to have AF. But there are a good amount of options out there as well. Just a bit more expensive.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:36 PM   #20

Quote:
If I go with the T4i...are there any IQ concerns with the STM lenses???
The 18-135 STM costs a little more (and it's not part of any package deals, so it ends up costing a lot more), it's about as good as the conventional 18-135, but it's quieter (for when you're recording videos.)