Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:21 PM   #1

Default Newbie selecting DSLR...

I'm from Argentina, and I'm trying to choose my first DSLR camera and gear...since long time ago...but right now the chance of getting it is really strong...
This is not my first thread concerning this issue, but I still have some (the same) doubts...

Here, economic situation is not easy, and it is also not easy to find/buy a dSLR. So I want to buy a camera that would last me for years, without needing to upgrade it in the near future. I mean I want to pick a camera to last many years...I will not upgrade it in the short time...meaning at least 5 years...

In my town (Bahía Blanca) particularly, and generally in all the country, is not easy to find a good/big store where you can see different model, grab them, feel them, test them…and camera´s cost are more than double in u$s compared to US costs.

A relative goes fortnight to Miami, and is going to buy the camera there for me.
She is used to buy things in BestBuy.
I know the warrantee issues when buying abroad...but this is an assumed risk in Argentina...
Official products sales are not so common...not too many stores with official warrantee...and very expensive offers too...f

I actually own a Canon G11, I'm very happy with it, but besides I haven't mastered it yet, I want to go one step forward.

I will do a little of everything: portrait (indoor & outdoor), landscapes...a few sports photo (my son plays basketball, and want to have some good pics...but this will not be the main usage of the camera...so I won't buy any specific stuff & gear for this). I also really enjoy macro photo of insects & flowers, but again, it is not my first desire (but more important than sports photo).

Some why, I’ve shortened the list to Canon & Nikon. No preference because I don't own any lenses right now.

So, within Canon line-up I'm evaluating T4i & 60D (70D will be its successor?) (is T4i really a better option against T3i???)

Desired lenses are: 18-55 + 55-250 + 50 f/1.8. (all of them IS II versions)
T4i + 3 lenses kit + case + 16Gb SDXC is around u$s1150 in BestBuy.

And within Nikon line-up I'm evaluating D3200, D5200, D7000 and now D7100.

If you must chose one of those 6 models, ¿what do you think will be cons and pros of selecting each one?

I want to optimize my pick considering Build & Image quality vs cost.

I want to check if it is worth the extra money to get the 60D or D7000 for example.

I’m getting a little dizzy with AF systems, and lots of specs comparison, etc.

Concerning lens, right now I want to start buying versatile glasses...but I know that I mustn’t try to find a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens
Anyway, what would you suggest?
For Canon: is it ok to start with 18-55 + 55-250 + 50 f/1.8???
Or 18-135? Or 18-55 + 70-300/75-300? (I had no proper suggestions over those last 2)

For Nikon: 18-55? 18-105? 18-55 + 55-200/55-300/70-300? 50 f1.8 or any pancake? (I had no proper suggestions over 55-200 & 55-300)
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...ef_lens_lineup
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...ses/index.page

Budget:
- Upper limit: around u$s 1500
- Preferred: around u$s 1100 (lowest as possible...)

So, considering this introduction, I will really thank you a lot for your advice/comments/suggestions.
If you want to add other brand, other model, other lenses…welcomed!
(I will also need to pick a memory card, a good case for all the stuff, and caps/hoods/filters).

Thanks in advance!

Eugenio
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:42 PM   #2

As things stand right now, I'd go with Nikon, specifically the D5200. It has better image quality than any of the Canons you're considering, and without dipping too deep into your budget for lenses.

The 18-55 is the best bang-for-the-buck lens available. It, plus the 55-300 and the 50/1.8 would be $1,500. There are better choices, but to cover as many bases as possible within your budget, that's what I'd recommend.

You can drop back to the D3200 without giving up much, and save yourself $300.

That still doesn't get you macro or indoor sports, though. How easily would it be to get lenses and/or accessories for a Canon or Nokon dSLR in your area? Close-up lenses are not too difficult to get ahold of, but something like an 85mm f/1.8 might be tough.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:15 PM   #3

Thanks for your fast answer TCav!
It is always good to have inputs like yours, because I'm not photo-wise...

Yes, D5200 seems to be a very interesting new option here...I havent' search for its price, and have no idea about Nikon leneses lineup...I have done some research but for Canon's

What about autofocus during video with the D5200?

I thought some strong advantages of the T4i were its faster AF during video (phase detection vs contrast in the D5200), built in focus motor, etc...

Anyway, AF system seems to be better in the D5200 due to its 39 points vs 9 in T4i...

Video is not my fist usage of a camera, but actual HD capabilities make it an interesting thing to do. (I've seen some incredible videos from a T4i but haven't seen any from D5200 to evaluate it). My daugther is 2 years old and I want to have some videos (also from my son's basketball games)

But it is true that reviews and samples show better IQ in the Nikon...what about build quality?

What are the differences about metering modes, contiuos shooting etc?
I will shot mainly in JPG...not involved with RAW processing yet!

D7100 will be a "monster" for me, won't it???
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:28 PM   #4

@TCav: some time ago you advice me that in Nikon, I should attach to a 18-55 + 70-300 and stay agay of 55-200 & 55-300...

Now you said it will be OK the 55-300...was it a confusion??? Or i'm mixing things???

The Nikor 50/1.8 is not VR...is it?

Last edited by eugeniogurrea; Mar 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
@TCav: some time ago you advice me that in Nikon, I should attach to a 18-55 + 70-300 and stay agay of 55-200 & 55-300...

Now you said it will be OK the 55-300...was it a confusion??? Or i'm mixing things???
Nikon's 70-300 is outside your budget, and while I would usually recommend the Tamron instead, BesyBuy doesn't carry it. Of the lenses that BestBuy carries and that are within your budget, the 55-300 is the best telephoto zoom.

Of course, I'm presuming that you want to get the broadest capabilities you can while staying within your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
The Nikor 50/1.8 is not VR...is it?
No, it's not.

Last edited by TCav; Mar 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:03 PM   #6

If you want a 50mm lens you will need to get the AF-s version, the cheaper af 50 1.8 will not AF on a d5200 body.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:09 PM   #7

You never mentioned video in your original post, so I didn't take it into consideration. Something else to consider is that, if you want to shot video, the standard 18-55 lens isn't a very good choice. For Canon, the 15-85 or 18-135 are better choices, but they're much more expensive, and would tend to rule out a long telephoto zoom. But if you want to shoot video, it would be best to get appropriate gear now. BB has the 55-250 for $300 and the 18-135 for $450. The T4i body is on sale for $650. That comes to $1,400, so the 50/1.8 puts you over budget. As it happens, BB lists the T4i with the 18-135 for $860, which is a big savings, so you can still get the 50/1.8, all for a total of $1,360.

If you really want to shoot video, that's the best deal.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:15 PM   #8

canon does a nicer job with HD video then nikon. If that is something you will shoot for more then 30% of the uses. Go with the canon.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:16 PM   #9

I agree with TCav on choosing the Nikon over the Canon even I am a Canon user. It seems like the new Nikon entry to mid level DSLR give you more than Canon for the same amount of money. I actually used my friend's red Nikon D3200 and like a lot and it works really well indoors without flash. I was comparing it with my Samsung NX100 with that camera, the NX100 was no match to it. D5200 is a notch higher class and cost a little more. You cannot go wrong with either one.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:07 PM   #10

I don't shot too much video, but my wife tends to do so.

Looking at D5200, when I come to choose lenses, I realize that I have to search deeper about fx lenses on dx bodies...I don't understand nothing about DX and FX concepts, bodies and lenses...

Concerning budget, perhaps, if it is worth, I can extend it 100 more...or 200...

Keep my ears open to hear your advice!

Thanks!