Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:41 PM   #11

tcav, even at 1600 i'm using noise removal (noise ninja)and I should be using higher to get faster shutter speeds than 320-400. I do use the 2000 and occas 2500 with much increased noise only to get better exposure still not really increasing shutter speed. point being.. I need to increase the iso. I need something with much better noise reduction. I don't think i'm going to be happy with another sony. BUT you are right that I should at least try the new sony. a65 maybe? I think I will rent it. I didn't know it was so easy to do. of course at this point I will have to go find an aau basketball game somewhere.

in the meantime, what do you think of the d7100?

that tamron 17-50 2.8? maybe I got a dud but I don't care much for that lens. it does great zoomed out but kind of hit or miss when zoomed in. I bought it when I shot my nephews wedding (yes I was talked into that and it went fine, thank God). Got it for group shots and it did it's job but I won't miss it..
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:26 PM   #12

Perhaps you could talk to a coach or PhysEd teacher about shooting a practice. And perhaps the people that asked you to do this have some pull.

The D7100 is a fine camera, but it hasn't been tested by DxOMark yet, so I didn't mention it while I was referring to objective test results for other cameras.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:26 PM   #13

the coaches are friends of ours so that would not be a problem. Unfortunately, practice doesn't resume until after mother's day and then due to regulations, it will be weight lifting and things like that.

she has a daughter that is playing aau basketball tho so that will have to do.

thank you for your thoughts. i knew you'd have lots of info and advice.... I do remember you once telling me you were a sewer of information...
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlenerenee View Post
... I do remember you once telling me you were a sewer of information...
A friend once called me that.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:01 AM   #15

On the Tamron lenses - they're sharp but the focus motors are slow. If you were trying to use the lens for your sports shooting that may be why you were underwhelmed by the performance.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
On the Tamron lenses - they're sharp but the focus motors are slow. If you were trying to use the lens for your sports shooting that may be why you were underwhelmed by the performance.
Good point. The Tamron lenses you have rely on the AF motor in the body.

Is it possible that you're dissatisfied with the shots you've taken with your A700/70-200 because you missed the shot, or would they have been fine if the noise wasn't excessive.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
hmm. there's another piece to consider. that I don't know. even the keepers are not sharp). mind you I keep a lot that ppl selling pictures would not ..

would it tell you guys anything if I uploaded a few. I still have some raw photos that I can downsize and convert to jpeg without any edits...
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:25 PM   #18

Downsampled images won't help. Perhaps some 100% crops of movement (ball, arms, legs, etc.)
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Downsampled images won't help. Perhaps some 100% crops of movement (ball, arms, legs, etc.)
I've never done that.. I don't see anything in photoshop with the crop tool that would tell me if it's a 100% crop. am I showing my ignorance?? and under the image tab up top, crop is grayed out..
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:23 PM   #20

You crop a portion of an image that is 600x800 pixels, and save it as an 600x800 image.