Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:03 PM   #1

Default Waterproof P&S: AW100 or TG-2?

I'm looking at buying a waterproof camera. I plan to use it on an upcoming vacation for a dolphin interaction, snorkeling, and water park. I also plan to use it as my main P&S. It'll be used as a regular camera more than in the water, so good general use is important.

After doing research and reading reviews, I've narrowed it down to the Olympus TG-2 or Nikon AW100. From the reviews it seems like the Olympus TG-2 is the best (well, most reviews are for the TG-1 but the TG-2 should be the same). The TG-2 is $380. The Nikon AW100 is $200. After adding a warranty the AW100 is over $200 cheaper. I'm not an experienced photographer, usually just using Auto mode. Based on my use and the prices which do you think I should go for?
spaceboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:35 AM   #2

The TG-2's f/2.0 lens (at wideangle) would certainly aid underwater shooting- as it's generally not a bright environment..! It's also a little "tougher" on paper and a very good 15m waterproof capability....
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for... only you can decide if the difference is worth $200...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:27 AM   #3

Thanks Simon. The TG-2's f/2.0 lens is what really attracts me to it. Plus I'd like to get back into diving and I can get an underwater housing for it and take it even deeper. I'll probably go with my gut and get the TG-2. Since I plan for the camera to be my main P&S I want it to be the best I can get and the f/2.0 lens will really help with underwater shots and low light environments.
spaceboi is offline   Reply With Quote