Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Default Is the SX280 HS a good choice for my needs?

Recently lost my PowerShot SD850 so need to buy a new camera. It'll be our only camera and although as a family we take a lot of photos, we're essentially noobs and almost always rely on the auto settings. Still, I'd like to get as much mileage as possible out our next purchase so a quality zoom, picture, etc. are important.

I've been looking at the new SX280 HS (http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...hs-review.html) and wondering if this is a good choice. I know there are a lot of bells/whistles beyond what I'll ever use but even so, if using it primarily as an auto point and shoot, compact camera how would this stack up to other models in the price range, category, etc.?

Any input or other models to consider would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
UberPooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:12 PM   #2

I was looking at the SX270, it's the same camera as the SX280 minus the wi-fi and GPS... these newer ones are replacement's for the SX260 and will be available by the end of April.

The GPS to me is a 'battery flattener'. I seem to understand they have a improved AF focusing over the SX260. Hope Steve does a test review.

Dave

Last edited by davy; Apr 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM. Reason: added 'test' before review.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:38 PM   #3

Thanks davy for the input. I wonder if it's possible to disable the GPS feature, similar to what you can do with a phone. I do like the wi-fi feature b/c if I understand it correctly it will allow me to transfer photos to my PC via my network without connecting a cable.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 4:32 AM   #4

Yes, the GPS is switcheable as I understand, it is on the SX260, just that it can take time to get the bearings depending on the location, obviously it's going to struggle if you are in built up areas... microwave signals depends on line of sight.

There may well be an improvement in GPS current consumption, I doubt it though in one review on the SX260 it took about 10 minutes to work, but to be fair the reviewer didn't say anything about the location at the time, in open country it should be a doddle.

I would imagine the GPS is ideal for hikers and 'outdoor' people but for 'me' personally I think it's just a gimmick. Guess, one way to look at it is that a SD card will hold a vast amount of pictures making one liable to forget where it was taken... many a times I've seen folks getting the ol' film snaps out, " Now lemme see, er, um where was this taken, er, it was on holiday anyway", well the GPS will do this for you, you can have it 'date stamped' on the snaps... as well as having a program to pin point it on a map for you.

Here's the Canon link on the SX280, you may well have viewed it though. http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Prod..._HS/index.aspx

I use the A650, I do prefer disposable batteries rather than battery packs rather than the GPS function - but everyone's need is different, the only common factor is it takes photos.

Dave

Last edited by davy; Apr 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM. Reason: Added: Canon link
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:57 AM   #5

Thanks Dave, if there's an option to turn off the GPS feature then I'll just leave it off. Like you, I really see it more as a gimmick. I don't need to know that the camera is inside my house being used by my 8-yr old daughter to take a picture of her cat.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:47 PM   #6

camera Canon SX280 which this one has its own advantages compared to other cameras. Specifications and price that fits your choice will probably be later.
seogalau is offline   Reply With Quote