Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:05 PM   #1

Default Flash for Nikon 7100?

I have never found the need for an external flash for most of what I do but I'm staring to think that I would like to get one after seeing some of the cool things I can do with one. So what's a good flash that I could do almost anything with for $300? I was considering nikons sb-910 but I was hoping I could get one just as good or better and pay less than $550 but is has to work on the Nikon 7100.

Thanks guys!
Cam
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:12 AM   #2

A couple to look at....
The basic SB-400-
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._TTL_Shoe.html

Or the higher spec SB-700-
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...hoe_Mount.html

P.S... are we talking "P" or "D" 7100....?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:12 AM   #3

I think I may just be going with the 700 but the real thing I like about the 910 is the distance it can reach and how rapid the recharge is. The only two downsides to it I have seen sofar is its user interface is said to be way more complicated than it should be and obviously I could but would rather not spend the extra money on it (i guess the size could be a down side too but I will sacrafice).

I guess what I am really asking is, is there any flashes out there made by someone else that will work on the D7100 that is just as good as the SB-910 for maybe around $300 and preferably a better User Interface?
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:49 PM   #4

While I have 2 SB-600s and and SB-900...it's not the reach of the 900 - which is substantial - rather the quality of light that astounds me. One side of me says sell one of the 600's and get the 910 for a great package.

Other brands? Yes, Sigma, Nissin, and Metz are namebrands. The absolute least expensive option is the new Yongnou YN-560EX at around $105 through Amazon or Yongbou's Ebay store (a Hong Kong manufacturer) . While their earlier flashes were manual only, this one is TTL and functions in slave mode like my SB-600 but the output of the SB-900. Off camera using Nikon's CLS system the D7100 can serve as master using the popup flash. When I used CLS with the SB-600's I adjusted the power output of the pop-up to -3 as I didn't want oncamera flash. CLS is my expensive backup system, as I primarilly use pocket wizards now.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:51 AM   #5

I have a nissin di622 its really easy to use and its powerful too and its a good price
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote