Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2013, 10:43 AM   #31

I don't think ANY make/model is "too powerful"- if you're a newbie to DSLR's the learning curve will be the same regardless of the model chosen. It just comes down to how much you want to invest to begin with,what you plan to shoot and what features you're looking for...
Perhaps throw Canon's 600D into the ring...? Prices have fallen since the intro' of the 650D and the 700D....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 11:38 AM   #32

My view might upset a few equipment junkies, but IMHO:

Lenses are an investment, buy the best you can.

Camera bodies are now a disposable item like most electronics, there are new models coming out every few months to keep the public buying/upgrading to new perceived desires for the latest thing.
Buy what you can to get started (they are all very capable of producing good images any more) and expect to be updating if your skills improve and your interest in photography grows to really warrant it.

An even better investment might be in imaging education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivpadr View Post
Regarding a D5100, is it too powerful for a first DSLR and new DSLR user ? The A37 should suffice or it's a good investment to start with the D5100 ?
Old May 3, 2013, 11:55 AM   #33

In general, I agree with Peter. However, for a first time buyer, I really recommend getting the kit lens with a camera. They add very little to the cost. The challenge with buying expensive glass right up front is that you often don't have a good grasp on what focal lengths and max aperture you really need. Better lenses are better usually because they specialize. IMO, you're better off paying the extra $100 or so for the kit lens. Then, after you've used it for a while you can determine what the requirements of your first "quality" lens will need to be. And, for example, you may find that you're doing a lot of indoor party photography. It may very well be that you will get better results with kit lens and external flash than you would if you bought an expensive 28-75 2.8 lens that might not be wide enough and still not bright enough without flash to meet your needs. My point is - while great glass makes sense - it's often a bad idea to buy expensive glass right at the beginning over the kit lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 1:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivpadr View Post
Regarding a D5100, is it too powerful for a first DSLR and new DSLR user ? The A37 should suffice or it's a good investment to start with the D5100 ?
Unlike your original comparison of the D3100 and the A37, this new comparison of the D5100 and the A37 is of two camera bodies containing the same image sensor, so they are more closely matched. Again, the difference between the bodies is in the minor features. But the difference that is most important for image quality is that Sony's 18-55 kit lens is superior to Nikon's.

For that reason, for what you want to do, I suggest you still get the Sony.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 7:46 PM   #35

Thank you very much for all comments you provided. I purchased the Sony A37 this friday. Now I just need to "tame" this camera. And up to now I'm very pleased with this DSLR(T). Now a lot of practice is going to be needed. But I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have a lot of "fun" with it. Enclosed my first macro. It was a sunny day this sunday. I couldn't help myself to shoot this macro.
Attached Images

olivpadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 4:56 AM   #36

It seems you've hit the ground running. Good luck with it.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:30 PM   #37

I haven't made a lick of progress on this camera purchase.

I have decided that I can increase my budget to 600 though. I do want in camera image stabilization now...
MadisonCamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 6:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonCamera View Post
I have decided that I can increase my budget to 600 though. I do want in camera image stabilization now...
Sony Alpha DSLR SLT A37 16.2MP Digital Camera Body With DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens ($482)

Sony Alpha DSLR SLT A57 Translucent Mirror Digital Camera with DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens ($539)

Sony Alpha DSLR SLT-A58 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55 Lens, 20.1 Megapixel, 1080p/60i/24p Full HD Video, 2.7" Tiltable Screen ($598)
Old May 24, 2013, 9:29 AM   #39

Thanks! Is the used lens market a good idea or not? I was contemplating buying old Minolta glass because I want to say it fits on those cameras, right?

Is the 60 dollar jump from the two lower end bodies worth it? How about the 60 dollar jump from the A57 to A58? Am I getting 120 dollar more value between the A37 and the A58?

EDIT:I think the A57 is going to be the ticket for me...now waiting for my next pay check....

Last edited by MadisonCamera; May 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM.
MadisonCamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 12:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Thanks! Is the used lens market a good idea or not? I was contemplating buying old Minolta glass because I want to say it fits on those cameras, right?
Yes, the used market is a great source of glass for Sony's camera bodies. And yes, the A-Mount hasn't changed much since it was introduced in 1985, so all those old Minolta A-Mount lenses work just fine, as do many of the A-Mount lenses from third party manufacturers

Quote:
Is the 60 dollar jump from the two lower end bodies worth it? How about the 60 dollar jump from the A57 to A58? Am I getting 120 dollar more value between the A37 and the A58?
First and foremost, the A58 has a 20MP image sensor while the A57 and A37 have 16MP sensors, and the A58 has an OLED electronic viewfinder while the A57 and A37 use an LCD viewfinder.

The A57 has a 3 inch LCD monitor, while the A37 and A58 have a 2.7 inch monitor, though the resolutions are 230K for the A37, 460K for the A58, and 920K for the A57, And while the monitors can all be tilted up and down, the monitor on the A57 can also be rotated.

The A57 can also shoot continuously faster than the A37 and A58 can.