Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Nikon D7100 lens headache and a shot in the dark question about 16mm film

First the lens issue. I am looking at about a 1300 dollar budget and I have come up with two options. First is the $999.99 18-300mm all in one and then the super cheap $199 35mm prime but these two lenses would, i expect, leave me with a good cut back in quality. I guess if I have to but I am looking for the best combo, again around or under $1300. I am looking to have a wide(er) prime lens at about 35 to 55mm for low light and whatnot and then I want a telephoto with some reach so a 70 to 300mm would work. I am not looking to use a teleconverter to reach 300mm and obviously I want the best glass possible with my conditions met. The second optioin was exactly that, a better prime and a cheaper semi "all in one". Honestly I don't really care if there is a gap of 40mm or so in my ranges. I can always fill it later if it ever became a problem anyway. But too many lenses = too many missed shots....

I just bought the D7100 (body only) and I really didn't want that POS kit lens that comes with it and its plastic connector. I really think that 400 dollars for that lense is waaaaayyyyy over priceing it and really ripping people off. But anyway, I am upgrading from my Pentax K-x and I really have been out of the market and I either don't know whats out or quite frankly forgotten alot about what stuff means. For instance I know AF is Auto Focus but what is AF-S and what does that mean to me? What is DX and FX and what works with my camera and what semi works with it? Lol what is it that I really need to know about Nikon's lingo?

And ok, since I am here, and I know this is a Digital forum, I figured that because you guys are so knowledgeable, maybe someone could point me in the right direction on information on how to shoot and properly expose, in all since of the word, 16mm film video. I am simultaniously setting up a system with an old Bell and Howell Filmo 70-DR with the 3 lense and 3 vewfinder turrets. I know nothing so HELP. I understand exposure and all that but other than that all my experience is in the digital side of the house so anything is appriciated.
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:53 PM   #2

No jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens is as good as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges. The Nikon 18-300 has significant chromatic aberration and distortion, it's not very sharp, and it has a lot of vignetting at the wide end. You'd be better off with Tamron's SP 70-300 VC USD ($349) and a Sigma 17-70 OS HSM ($379).

Then you can afford the vertical grip and another battery.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:35 AM   #3

I understand that but with such little money I wanna get the beggest bang. I could do the Tamron lens but whats a good Prime? I would prefer a 35mm but 50mm could work too if it was a better deal... does anyone make a better lens then Nikon's 35mm DX? The only reason why I am really hesitant about that lens is that I don't like the bokeh at all and thats something I like to have in a lot of my photos. And how does Tameron's lens compair with Nikon's equivalent?

But yea I have already factored in an extra battery and then Nikon's SB-700 flash along with the variable ND filter and an EXPO disk (think thats what they are called...).
Photoshop CS5
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihame View Post
And how does Tameron's lens compair with Nikon's equivalent?
The Tamron SP 70-300 VC USD isn't as good as the Nikon 70-300 VR, but it's a lot cheaper (with the current rebate offer) and it's way better than the Nikon 18-300.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Tamron SP 70-300 VC USD isn't as good as the Nikon 70-300 VR, but it's a lot cheaper (with the current rebate offer) and it's way better than the Nikon 18-300.
I 'll second to that! I have the Canon's version, it works well enough that I leave it on my camera all the time. Best bang for the buck!
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:33 PM   #6

Default Lenses

I am a novice myself, but I've been shooting with the Nikon 18-300, the Nikon 70-300, and the Nikon 16-85. The 18-300 is a handy walk-around lense for versatile focal ranges, but the 70-300 produces better images. I love the 16-85 for close-ups and landscapes.
Suwanavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:31 PM   #7

The 16-85 and the 70-300 would be a heck of a combination.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:22 PM   #8

Quote:
And would come in just under your establised budget. Great all Nikon combo, both lens with VR.

I have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (non-VC version) and the Nikon 70-300 VR. An interesting fast glass combo under budget would be the Tamron 17-50 and Tamron 70-200 f2.8, but neither have stabilization. Tamrons new stabilized 70-200 f2.8 is over your budget by itself.

Personally, I would go the 16-85 70-300 combo.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihame View Post
I am looking at about a 1300 dollar budget and I have come up with two options. First is the $999.99 18-300mm all in one and then the super cheap $199 35mm prime but these two lenses would, i expect, leave me with a good cut back in quality. I guess if I have to but I am looking for the best combo, again around or under $1300.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Quote:
And would come in just under your establised budget.
Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED (VR) Vibration Reduction Zoom Lens - Nikon U.S.A. Warranty for $629.

Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Vibration Reduction Nikkor Lens - Nikon U.S.A. Warranty for $587.

Total: $1,216

Though there's nothing left for the fast prime you mentioned.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:10 AM   #10

Thanks guys! I don't know yet but I may just go with those two lenses but I really wanted a prime for this new camera but the up side is that i can just buy the prime in a couple of weeks or so, it is only $200... The down side is that I don't want to carry 3 lenses with me but with this set up I could pick and choose out of the three what I wanted to take with me depending on where I'm going. Maybe ill buy a 2x tele. so the 18-85mm can be extended. Never used one before though, how do the effect your image?
Photoshop CS5