Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2013, 12:07 PM   #1

Default Olympus E-20P vs Olympus E-420

Hi there,

I have a E-420 and i have a chance to buy an older Olympus E-20P, i know that it's a very old and outdated slr, but since i have already owned one 5 years ago and realy liked some feature like the fast F2.0 lens, and time lapse capture. my E-420 low light performance is terrible and the E20 is quite good in comparison. What do you experts think?

The price is 100$ with the grip included.

Thanks
Santos

Last edited by Rmls; May 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM.
Rmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2013, 4:19 PM   #2

Default Think carefully before choosing

I think your problem may be that you haven't realized that the E420 has a cmos sensor, compared to the E20p which had a CCD sensor

Therefore if your looking for a relatively modern camera to replace your E420, try looking at the Olympus E510, this has what is referred to as a "live MOS" sensor plus a very comprehensive range of facility's

Try looking at the spec and the original price, and then the current second hand price ?

I still possess an E20p, which was an excellent camera in it's day, but it is now very long in the tooth

I made the mistake of replacing the E20p with a cmos camera, namely a Pentax K20d, the only thing I can say about it is, that it's not bad for wedding photography, and that's about all.
camerabodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 10:39 AM   #3

I'm pretty sure the differences you're seeing between your e-420 and the e20p is primarily down to the lens.
Whilst the 4/3 sensor in the e-420 isn't quite up to aps-c high iso/noise performance, I'm pretty sure all else being equal, the e-420 would outperform the e20p in almost every regard.
Stick a fast lens on the e-420 and then compare them...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 12:20 PM   #4

Yes indeed, I had not noticed that the sensor in the E-20P was a 2/3'' CCD
which compared with the four thirds is much smaller!
I was only interested because of the price and because it was a camera that I already had and broke. Nostalgia maybe ...

Do you think that despite my E-420 being a micro four thirds sensor, a lens f1.8 or f2.0 lens will produce low noise and sharpness in low light conditions?

Last edited by Rmls; May 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:49 PM   #5

I'd suggest that the e-420's low light abilities was compromised a bit by the 4/3 sensor- at least when compared to it's direct competitors of the time- most of which had the larger APS-C sensor on board.
I'd guess it was about half a stop worse off in terms of high iso/noise control, with iso 800 being a safe limit. If a fast f/1.8-2.0 lens gives you enough shutter speed for your subjects and you can keep the iso to around 800 or so... happy days...!
Just beware your depth of field will be fairly shallow with a fast aperture... though not quite as shallow as an APS-C would be with an equivalent lens...
Old May 12, 2013, 7:53 AM   #6

I really appreciate your opinions, dispite having a f2.0 lens, its a really old 5mp CCD so buying for my E420 a Chinon Auto 50mm f1.9 (K mount) with a 4/3 adapter ring will do the job, what do you think?

Last edited by Rmls; May 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM.
Old May 12, 2013, 4:18 PM   #7

If the lens is reasonably priced and fits your needs- and you don't mind manual focus,go for it. Besides,if it's not for you, you can always sell it on as there's little to go wrong with it- unlike an old 5mp camera..!

Last edited by SIMON40; May 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM.
Old May 13, 2013, 2:46 PM   #8

Well thats a good point, i think i'll rather buy some lens, after all its a prety obsolete dslr.

Thank you all.