Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2013, 6:52 PM   #1

Default May Return Nikon D3200 + 55-200mm Lens

In view of my introduction (just posted), you would think I would know the answer, but. . . . Six months ago, I sold my Canon D60 and Tsi with 18-135mm IS and 11-22mm IS lenses, thinking at my age and in my health, I no longer needed an SLR with expensive lenses. I bought a Canon G 1X.

Today, feeling the loss of my SLRs, I bought a Nikon D3200 with kit lens and 55-200 VR lens for $635.61. I can no longer afford the expensive stuff, but I am questioning what I just did. My ideal, which I once had, was a Rebel Tsi and a Canon 18-35mm IS lens. With only this one lens, this combo served my needs perfectly but is beyond my reach financially now.

I am suspicious of the hugh MPs combined with a kit lens and may return it all. The Canon T3 felt okay, but the kit lens seemed cheesy. It was the same price.
I have never bought an "off-brand" lens, but maybe I should check into this. If I could get an 18-135mm, more-or-less, I would only need one lens.

Thank you for putting up with this extended post.

Last edited by nochance44; May 10, 2013 at 6:55 PM. Reason: Clarifying
nochance44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2013, 7:54 PM   #2

While Nikon doesn't have an 18-135, it does have an 18-105 which has less chromatic aberration and is sharper than the Canon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 8:53 PM   #3

Default Image Quality

Speaking strictly in terms of image quality (not functions, build, etc) would I really be that much better off with an under-$1,000 SLR camera/lens combo that with my current Canon G 1X?

Thanks very much.

Bob
Old May 10, 2013, 9:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
While Nikon doesn't have an 18-135, it does have an 18-105 which has less chromatic aberration and is sharper than the Canon.
Nikon had an 18-135mm, but its not VR. I've got one which I picked up used for a good price. If you can live without VR (which I do), it's a great cost-effective option.

If you can find that lens, and are willing to live with an older body, it is a very cost-effective way to have a dSLR.

Although what you paid for the D3200 with the 2nd lens is very reasonable.

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 6:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
Nikon had an 18-135mm, but its not VR. I've got one which I picked up used for a good price. If you can live without VR (which I do), it's a great cost-effective option.

If you can find that lens, and are willing to live with an older body, it is a very cost-effective way to have a dSLR.
Nikon's 18-135 has been discontinued so I didn't mention it. While you're correct that it isn't stabilized, it is an AF-S lens, so it will work fine on a D3200.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochance44 View Post
Speaking strictly in terms of image quality (not functions, build, etc) would I really be that much better off with an under-$1,000 SLR camera/lens combo that with my current Canon G 1X?
According to DxOMark, the Nikon D3200 is about a stop better than the Canon G1X as far as image noise is concerned, but the Nikon has a much bigger advantage with respect to dynamic range at ISO settings of 400 and below. Then, of course, there's that whole 24MP vs. 15MP thing.

So, yes, I'd say that you're better off with the D3200 than the G1X.
Old May 11, 2013, 8:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Nikon's 18-135 has been discontinued so I didn't mention it.
I figured that, but wasn't sure if the OP was aware of the old lens.

I personally like the fact that it exists, because I'm just not ready to spend the money (or have the bulk) of an Nikon 18-200 VR.

But on the other hand, since the introduction of the Canon 18-135 STM lens, the original Canon 18-135 IS lens (used) seems to be coming down in price, which if you have Canon would make that lens a nice option, especially since it has IS? I guess its not as quiet for video, but I guess it depends on if you do video . . .
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 11:23 AM   #8

I am down to bitting the bullet for a Cannon D60 w/18-35, T4 w/18-35 or; in Nikon, a D7000 w/18-105 or D5100 w/18-105. I can get any of the first three for $1,000 and the D5100 for $900.

I like the extra reach of the 18/35mm Cannon, but how do the 4 stack up?Recommendations?

I appreciate your patient updates on what is available and how it compares to get the maximum for the minimum.

Thank you so mulch.
Bob
Old May 11, 2013, 12:20 PM   #9

i really like the D7000 - it's a snappy feeling camera, and there should be deals on it since the D7100 is out. the 60D is getting a little long in the tooth, but i'm still seeing great pics coming from it - my son really wanted one but ended up with a t2i, which he's pretty happy with.

any reason why the t4i isn't making your list? it's a lot nicer than the t3.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:50 PM   #10

I went to Best Buy to return my outfit and buy and T4i w/18-35mm lens, but they informed me that the T4i isn't being sold, and that it has been replaced by the T5i. So I ended up with a T5i w/18-135mm lens. The lens feels "cheesy," not at all like the one I sold a few months ago. It's called a "the latest version" of course.

As a Silver Card holder, I have 90 days to return it if I am not satisfied. I guess a plastic lens will do since I insure the cameras anyway.

Thanks to all for the help.

Bob