Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1

Default Nikon D5100 or Canon T series?

As the title suggests, I'm looking for an entry-level DSLR. I was initially drawn towards the T2i/T3i set, but am now thinking the D5100. I'll mainly be using this for some sports shots and normal still shots (sights and the like). I'll probably use the video feature, though it's not the main reason I'm buying the camera.

I posted previously,and really appreciated all the responses, but for a variety of reasons, didn't pull the trigger and actually buy anything. A year and a bit on, I would like a few more opinions. Thanks in advance for any help here!
taidgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2013, 5:49 AM   #2

The differences between the D5100 and the Canon T series are not significant. They are all excellent entry level dSLRs. As far as image quality goes, the Nikon has much better dynamic range at ISO settings of 400 and below, so the shots you capture with the Nikon in average lighting conditions will have a broader range of colors than the Canons would.

My preference, however, is to select a camera system based on the quality and availability of lenses applicable for shooting the intended subjects. In this respect, and given the sparse data you've provided on what you want to shoot, Canon and Nikon are closely matched.

I'd say that you should decide based on your impressions of how the different cameras feel in your hands. If you can't comfortably hold the camera, if you can't find the controls and commands you'll need, you'll miss shots and be dissatisfied with the camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 4:42 PM   #3

As Tcav suggests,where possible,try them both in your hands and shoot with them if possible.
On paper,the Nikon has an edge in IQ but I'd suggest the AF is faster on the Canon- of course,much of this is lens dependent,but even at the budget end,Canon lenses focus quickly and I've never found this to be the case with Nikon "low end" lenses...
In other words,I think you can shoot sports on a budget with Canon, whereas I'd suggest you cannot with a Nikon...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 7:42 PM   #4

Nikon appears to charge a lot more for their higher quality lenses compared to Canon. Anyone want to confirm that?
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 2:12 AM   #5

my advice is go and try them, when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system suits your needs. if it feels right then you are a long way to it being right make sure the buttons suit you and you like the way the menus are set out
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 11:57 AM   #6

I've decided on the D5100. It fits my hands and the controls seem more intuitive. Now comes the next part. I'm thinking of going for body only and looking at different ens options. Choices, choices, choices. Go for the 18-55 and the 70-300 or the 18-200 for twice the price? Would used lenses be an option or ok do you think? As I said before, I'll mainly be using for sports (soccer and the like) and landscape/scenic shots. Thanks for all the advice so far and please bear with me a bit longer.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:09 PM   #7

The 18-200 would not be a good choice for soccer. 200mm is often too short, plus a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens will not do as well as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges.

The Used Market is a great resource for lenses, but stabilization is a worthwhile option, and stabilized lenses are rare on the used market, and optical stabilization systems can be fragile, so be wary.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 1:39 PM   #8

thanks again. i went for the d5100 with the kit lens and the 70-300. i'm really thankful for all the advice and help. it's an amazing asset.
Old May 18, 2013, 8:27 PM   #9

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. They are both superb entry level DSLR's. I also agree that the Nikon D5100 has a slight edge over the Canon T Series in over all still image quality especially at ISO 400 and below, however I think the Canon has slightly better video.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote