Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 16, 2013, 10:29 AM   #11

thanks. ISO 800 - here's more exif data:

ExposureTime - 1/6 seconds
FNumber - 3.00
ISOSpeedRatings - 800
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Tungsten
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Manual
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 32 mm
GainControl - High gain up
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal

btw, it has nice stabilization but i did have to pay attention to handhold at 1/6th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelonetwo View Post
Nice shot. What was the ISO at with the FZ150.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
thanks. ISO 800 - here's more exif data:

ExposureTime - 1/6 seconds
FNumber - 3.00
ISOSpeedRatings - 800
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Tungsten
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Manual
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 32 mm
GainControl - High gain up
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal

btw, it has nice stabilization but i did have to pay attention to handhold at 1/6th.
At ISO 800 I expected it to be worse, but it doesn't look bad. When I get my FZ200 I'll probably limit the camera to ISO 800 in the auto ISO mode. I think most if not all the pics I plan to take will be well suited for ISO800.
intelonetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 11:47 AM   #13

The 12MP FZ150 produces images that are 4000x3000. The image posted by pcake is 1200x900. The downsampling would mask much of the noise. You can't really get a good idea of the quality of a full size image by looking at a reduced size image.

See Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 1:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The 12MP FZ150 produces images that are 4000x3000. The image posted by pcake is 1200x900. The downsampling would mask much of the noise. You can't really get a good idea of the quality of a full size image by looking at a reduced size image.

See Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality
Funny thing is, if I think about all the pictures I've taken over time, I can't think of a single time that I haven't compressed the image to reduce the size. For people who work in photography and that type of thing, the downsampling might be an issue, but for casual usage it's rather moot and even advantagous since the downsampling masks the noise.
Old May 17, 2013, 5:18 PM   #15

Just got the camera. Charging the battery now. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelonetwo View Post
Funny thing is, if I think about all the pictures I've taken over time, I can't think of a single time that I haven't compressed the image to reduce the size. For people who work in photography and that type of thing, the downsampling might be an issue, but for casual usage it's rather moot and even advantagous since the downsampling masks the noise.
... until you want to print. If all you'll ever do is view the images on a television, computer monitor, tablet or smartphone, saving only a downsampled copy of the original will probably be fine (except when you consider that it will have been downsampled once to make the file smaller and downsampled again to fit the reduced resolution of the screen.) But printing requires the image to be upsampled (considerably), and upsampling the original will produce a much better image that upsampling a previously downsampled copy.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 1:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
... until you want to print. If all you'll ever do is view the images on a television, computer monitor, tablet or smartphone, saving only a downsampled copy of the original will probably be fine (except when you consider that it will have been downsampled once to make the file smaller and downsampled again to fit the reduced resolution of the screen.) But printing requires the image to be upsampled (considerably), and upsampling the original will produce a much better image that upsampling a previously downsampled copy.
I understand your point. When I downsize images I usually only go to 1920 on the shortest side so I have plenty of resolution for my needs.

So I've had a couple of hours to play with the the FZ200. I've been comparing to the Canon T1i DSLR. The T1i is better all around, IQ, picture quality, ergonomics, upgradability are all better on the T1i. I can say that I'm surprised with the picture quality on the FZ200. You have to drill down into the pixels to tell the difference between the two cameras. Overall I'm "ok"with the picture quality, if not totally sold. I've been a Canon DSLR guy for many years and they are my benchmark. It's hard to "downgrade" to the FZ200. For now, it holds it's own for my purposes, but I'm still a bit on the fence until I use it more and get more comfortable with all it's features.

My son has a T-Ball game tomorrow that I plan to take some shots with the FZ200. Let's see how that goes but for now, you'll have to settle for pics of my Canon T1i going on eBay tonight.

Old May 18, 2013, 3:18 AM   #18

That Canon will be looking at you and will be thinking..."how could you...??!! Swap me for a bridge...!!"
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 7:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
That Canon will be looking at you and will be thinking..."how could you...??!! Swap me for a bridge...!!"
Hahahah, I keep thinking that very thing. I used to own own a Panasonic FZ18 years ago and moved to a dslr because its better image quality, flexibility, and iQ, now I'm back at the bridge. Luckily I have an ace in hole; a brand new Canon T3i.
Old May 18, 2013, 1:06 PM   #20

Ah... well that's ok then...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote