Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2013, 4:16 PM   #1

Default Bridge Camera under 100

I'm pleased to say that my son has become fascinated with photography, and is taking some pretty good shots. His birthday is approaching and he's asked for a camera.
Basically I'm looking at getting him a bridge camera, so he can point and shoot if he wants, but can also experiment with settings, exposures etc if he wants. My budget is up to 100.
From what I've seen I've a choice between a GE X400 (not at all sure on this one) or a Lumix F20. Any other suggestions, or advice on which camera would be very much appreciated.

Happy snapping
Old May 21, 2013, 5:45 PM   #2
Administrator

Personally, I think I'd avoid any GE camera model, no matter how good it looks "on paper".

What's the exact model of the Panasonic camera you're considering? F20 isn't specific enough.

I assume you mean the DMC-FH20, which was launched around 3 years ago in 2010 (although they had even older models with F and 20 in their model name, too).

For example, for all readers know, you may be referring to the DMC-FZ20 from roughly 10 years ago. I'd give more specific model info for better responses. ;-)

If you mean the newer DMC-FH20 that was launched in 2010, then 3 years is a still long time as far as technology goes, meaning that's an obsolete (discontinued and no longer manufactured) camera now.

So, you may want to consider looking at a current camera models instead; as chances are, you'd find a better camera for the same money when looking at current versus discontinued models.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 7:22 PM   #3

Do you mean Panny's budget LZ20...?
If you can do without shutter and aperture priority modes,I guess you could do far worse given its price- and I'd certainly go with that over the GE model.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07...-21X-superzoom
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 4:12 PM   #4

Thank you for your replies. The Panasonic I'm looking at is a DMC-LZ20E-R. I shall avoid the GE.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:33 PM   #5

The kind of bridge camera that would cost $130 is not worth the price you're paying for it.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote