Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2013, 11:28 PM   #1

Default Wanting advice on changing or NOT changing from Sony to either Nikon or Canon

Long story short, I started out with Minolta, replaced a stolen Minolta 5D with a Sony a100 and then upgraded to Sony a550. Along the way, lots of glass, Sony, Tamron, Sigma and a couple of others.
I really like the a550, but I'm realizing that lenses are somewhat limited for it and Sony is usually the last in line for any new lenses, etc.
I want the Tamron 18-270 but dont want to continue to add more to the pile that doesnt have a lot of resale value when & if I change to either the Nikon or Canon line-up.
I want to move up in my nature, outdoor photography, this is currently a hobby and I'm old enough to know, thats about all it will be.
Stay with the a550, maybe eventually upgrade to a newer Sony, keeping my better Minolta & Tamron, and Sony lenses?
or change horses now and move to Canon or Nikon and eventually the lenses i'll want and need.
Video isnt a big plus, but it would be nice for the Grandkids.
Appreciate any thoughts, experiences on something like this.
PS - I now work at a small Photography store and so I'm drooling all the time on the N & C brands...
final note on this. money is an object, bankroll is not fat
Thanks
Erthtyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2013, 4:41 AM   #2

What can you not do with your Sony system that you'll be able to do with a another?

In general, Nikon uses Sony sensors so image quality is very similar, and better than Canon's. The major advantage Canon and Nikon have over Sony is the range of available lenses and accessories, from OEMs and third parties. The 18-270 you mentioned is available for Sony as well as Canon and Nikon, so you haven't said anything that would lead me to believe you needed to jump ship.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 9:57 AM   #3

Thanks TCav, yes I'm with you on that. and I havent seen a bad review of any Sony dslr, so thats not the problem. Its the aftermarker lenses that I am concerned about. I really do like the 550 and have taken some great pictures with it, want to learn more with it.
My leaning now is to stay with the Sony, add the Tamron 18-270, even if I dont need the VC. Later i would add some prime lenses. would love to get that new Tamron 70-200, 2.8, sweet sweet lens.
only thing missing is the video part...
Old May 22, 2013, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthtyme View Post
... add the Tamron 18-270, even if I dont need the VC.
The Sony version of the Tamron 18-270 doesn't have VC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthtyme View Post
... only thing missing is the video part...
Any of the newer SLTs can provide that capability in spades.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 5:13 PM   #5

True on the 18-270.
thats the missing part on the videos, and not buying a new one!!