Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 22, 2013, 9:51 PM   #1

Default Looking for a second/replacement camera for a Sony SLT A55

I am currently shooting with a Sony SLT A55 and I love it for what I bought it for which is shooting costumes in a variety of bad lighting conditions (hotels mostly). The thing is my wife and I have started traveling to Disney properties, and by mid-week I find that I either take my camera bag (camera with 18-55 kit and 75-300 lens) or go on rides so I'm looking for a smaller camera that has the following features:

1) Shoots RAW
2) Allows PASM settings
3) Fits in a pocket or hip pouch
4) A flip LCD panel (so I can use it if I'm shooting over a crowd).

Nice to haves:
1) Image Quality in low light (I generally shoot at iso 800) of my current camera
2) View finder (note: the view finder being removed to make it fit in a hip pouch is ok.)
3) Interchangeable lenses.
4) Decent Video

At the moment I'm looking at the Olympus series. I like the OM-D's weatherproofing but I'm afraid the prism hump makes it too tall to fit in a pouch. I'm also looking at the EP-5 and EPL-5, but I'm not locked into any of those.
WookieeGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2013, 3:54 AM   #2

I wonder- whilst the "small" camera would fit in your "pocket or hip pouch"- where would you put your lenses and/or viewfinder...?
Personally,if I'm looking for a "pocketable" camera,then pocketable it will be- and I'd simply accept its compromises, as in fixed lens and no viewfinder- and marvel at it's lightweight and miniscule presence...
Cue the Sony RX100 or maybe the Panasonic LX7... or maybe look into the Samsung EX2 if the "tilty" screen is a must...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 7:50 AM   #3

After I posted I did look some at the RX100.

As far as where would the lens and viewfinder would go, my thought was to have a camera that I keep in a bag with viewfinder and lenses for normal stuff that I could throw a pancake on and slip it into a belt pouch when I didn't want to carry the full kit but wanted something better than my cell phone.

To give a little more information, prior to my A55 I had a Canon G10. I really liked that camera but it wasn't quite fast enough for the shots I was doing at the time. If I could find something around that in size/functionality but with better low light IQ I'd be happy. If I could find that with interchangeable lenses and EVF I would be estatic.

Last edited by WookieeGunner; May 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:41 PM   #4

If the G10's footprint wasn't a bind... maybe consider Nikon's P7700
Shoots RAW,has a "tilty" screen and fairly fast (and sharp) f/2-4 28-200mm lens to help in lower light...

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-coolpix-p7700

Last edited by SIMON40; May 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 8:11 PM   #5

Thanks.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:52 AM   #6

if you're used to sony cameras, have you checked out the NEX line?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote