Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2013, 1:39 PM   #1

Default HD Video camera or still camera with HD video capability

I've been using Panasonic Lumix FZ7 for several years with very good still and video results. But a 2GB card can record SD video for only 20 minutes. If I get Panasonic ZS15 or ZS20, how long can I capture HDvideo with a single card and what will be the actual quality of the HD video compared to HD video captured by sony CX190? Should I get a new still camera or a video camera- since I capture video only occassionally? Please reply as I'm getting confused by widely divergent opinion of experts regarding quality of HD video captured by entry level HD handycams. Thanks a lot in advance.
Partha Pratim Biswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2013, 7:31 PM   #2

Can the current camera accept a larger SD card? 2GB seems small. See what its max card load is.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 1:00 PM   #3

No, it has max. capacity of 2GB only
Partha Pratim Biswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 4:09 PM   #4

The later ZS-15/20 can accept SDXC cards which offer far greater capacity/recording time- though depending on where you purchase the camera/where you live the actual recording capacity may be capped.
Here in the UK its about 29 mins (beyond which would be classed as a camcorder with different taxes...)- though you can begin recording immediately again as a new file...

With regards the Sony CX190- it has a tiny sensor with very low resolution and as such,I really wouldn't expect too much in the way of quality from it... the lens might be a bit faster, but that's about it.

Last edited by SIMON40; May 28, 2013 at 4:21 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote