Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 29, 2013, 2:49 PM   #1

Default FZ200 Vs SX50 HS?

Hi,
This is my first thread. I am just a newcomer in photography. Earlier I had Nikon S8100 point & shoot camera. I used it for taking pictures or landscapes, birds to some extent and interior as well as shooting HD videos. It is pretty decent camera but it lacks manual controls.
Now I am looking for a camera with full manual controls. First I was tempted to get DSLR as many of my friends have got them but I dont want to have the extra load in terms of lenses, weight and cost so I dropped that idea.
Now the best options for me is a superzoom and looking at all the available options I finally settled with 2 alternatives: canon SX50HS and Panasonic FZ200.
Reading numerous reviews on different blogs and forums I personally feel that FZ200 is better than canon, but I also learned in reviews that the FZ200 JPEG image quality is below par and to be able to make best use of the camera I need to shoot in Raw always. Now for me being starter I am looking to shoot mostly in JPEG at least during initial period. So here are few questions whose answers will definitely help me in finding the right camera.
- How good is the JPEG quality of FZ200?
- which one is better in JPEG - FZ200 or SX50HS?
- Which one is better in Auto Mode?
- which one has better image quality overall?
- which one has better image quality and performance in low light?
There are few other things like constant aperture on FZ200 which I will understand once I get and start using the camera. Also zoom wise I know SX50 has double the capability as that of FZ200 but I am not much interested in that as I can see 600 is enough for most shots.
Any help with the above questions and any other things is good for me.
Thanks for your inputs.
Ni3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2013, 4:37 PM   #2

The difference in jpeg quality is quite small- and even more so if you tweak the image parameters on the Panny (sharpness,noise reduction etc...).
Primarily,the Canon's sensor/processor yields slightly better high iso noise control in jpeg than the Panny- but the Panny's fast lens means that at anything other than wide angle, you have the option (if you so wish) to shoot at lower iso settings (for an equal exposure) than the Canon- which kinda offsets any gain yielded by the Canon- and frankly,I'd suggest the Panny's fast lens actually takes it past the Canon...

Let's be honest- most people get a superzoom because they plan to use some zoom- and the Panny's fast lens is just such a plus point- giving you the option to use lower iso settings and/or faster shutter speeds- and in addition,more light coming in leads to a more effective AF system- which is already superior on the Panny anyway..!!

The Panny focuses faster,has a very useful burst of 5.5 frames per second WITH autofocus on each frame (the SX50 has no such feature)- and a very speedy 12fps burst with focus/exposure taken off the first frame.
In addition to this,the Panny gives you full manual exposure control during these burst modes- unlike the Canon,where the burst is an "auto" only feature in the scene modes.

The Panny (in my opinion) looks like a serious bit of kit and is well put together- the Canon looks less "serious".... though I'm sure would still stand the test of time.

Which has the best IQ overall... I'd say the differences are too small to worry about... and I think it's more a features based battle....

If you shoot plenty of moving targets,you'll appreciate the speedy all round performance of the Panny- if speed is not an issue,the Canon may just do fine... especially if you like to shoot shy wildlife at distance..!!

I've owned both the predecessors of these camera's- the FZ-150 (which I still own) and the SX40hs.
Both very capable camera's- but I ditched the Canon for the FZ simply because it was quicker in all aspects of operation- and if I was to choose between the two above, it would still be the Panny- for the same reasons... and that's before I salivate at the thought of the f/2.8 lens...!!!

Last edited by SIMON40; May 29, 2013 at 4:42 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 11:17 PM   #3

G'day mate

I would go for the Panny FZ200 well ahead of the canon ...

I am biased here - we're a Panny household
  • Equally, in playing with other superzoom cameras, I have noticed that most zooms over about 20x zoom start to fall down on either sharpness &/or colour fringing
  • I have also found from personal experience that the IS features in these cameras also start to lose their efficiencies when the lens is over 20x zoom as well

Your choice must come down to ergonomics / hand & eye operation as well as the list of features

hope this helps -
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 11:11 AM   #4

besides it is a little bit more expensive ($699.99 in BestBuy against $489.99 of the Panny)...is it worth to consider the FujiFilm X-S1???

For $700...I think I can grab an entry level DSLR with some decent lens...can't I?

Please excuse me for introducing a new model in to a thread focused in other 2...

I can't find users comments about X-S1...only find the StevesDigicams Review

Last edited by eugeniogurrea; May 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 5:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
...is it worth to consider the FujiFilm X-S1???Please excuse me for introducing a new model in to a thread focused in other 2... I can't find users comments about X-S1...only find the StevesDigicams Review
In relation to the original post - my thoughts above still stand

You can read my personal review of the Fuji X-s1 here ...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...-100-days.html

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 7:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
In relation to the original post - my thoughts above still stand

You can read my personal review of the Fuji X-s1 here ...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...-100-days.html

Phil
Yes, I've read it a few minutes after my post...it is interesting...but I want to have some details...Have you noticed any performance improvement after the camera's firmware upgrade?
Have you upgraded the camera's sensor and lens?
Because I also see websites & forums signalling that there was an official recall for the X-S1 to have the sensor and lens upgraded...

I suppose that the future "X-S2" must show some improvement in the AF system...that was the "FlagShip" of X-S1 failures...

If you see my other posts, I'm searching for an entry level DSLR. But now I'm being fascinated by the Nikon D7100...and my budget is not enough...suddenly I've started thinking about the X-S1...
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 11:11 AM   #7

My own take on the X-S1 (I owned one...briefly...) for what it's worth...
I don't like the EXR sensor- in ANY of their cameras... and I think they'd be FAR better served replacing it with a standard issue 12mp CMOS sensor of the same size...
I found the level of fine detail captured at the "so-called" 12mp native resolution quite poor- and indeed inferior to other comparable 12mp bridge/superzoom cameras.
Things look better an 6mp in one of the EXR modes- but that could be said of any deficient hi-res' image downsized to hide things...
The processor doesn't work fast enough and the AF is compromised by an IS system which is not as good as ANY of the other competing bridges...

Plus points include great handling/layout,build quality,the manual zoom and a superb viewfinder....
The X-S1 looked good on paper, but the reality- for me- was somewhat disappointing and I hope they do some serious re-working if there's to be an X-S2....

Frankly,I don't hold any great optimism for the next "XS",as much like their HS line, they don't seem to improve the things that matter- and looking at the IQ of the recent HS50 it looks much of the same....

Wouldn't it be great if Panasonic indulged in a manual zoom bridge- an "FZ200-M"....
Now that would be something....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:25 AM   #8

yes, it would be great! while power zoom is great for video, manual zoom would be a very nice thing to have for stills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Wouldn't it be great if Panasonic indulged in a manual zoom bridge- an "FZ200-M"....
Now that would be something....
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:28 PM   #9

Panasonic Lumix FZ200 - $600(B&H)

key specifications:
24x 25-600mm equivalent lens with F2.8 across the zoom range

12.1-megapixel High Sensitivity MOS sensor 12 fps continuous shooting High Speed Video at 120 fps (HD) or 240 fps (VGA) 1080 60p video recording in AVCHD or MP4 formats

0.2-inch EVF (Electronic View Finder) with 1,312,000 dot equivalent resolution 3.0-inch, free-angle 460,000-dot LCD screen Panorama Shot mode RAW and RAW+JPEG data recording option

vs.

Canon SX50 - $400
12.1 megapixel high-sensitivity CMOS sensor
50x optical zoom (24-1200mm) and 24mm wide-angle lens with Optical Image Stabilizer

For me, no brainer, SX50 wins for less $ and bigger zoom.

Last edited by romphotog; Jun 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:33 AM   #10

FZ200 - $439.00 at amazon.http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...keywords=fz200

faster lens, f/2.8 throughout zoom range - to me, this would be a no-brainer. i owned an FZ150 (sorry i sold it), and it rocked. the FZ200 with its faster lens would be even better. i found 24x zoom plenty - i was able to shoot from griffith park to all the way across the 5 freeway, and that's all i could possibly need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romphotog View Post
Panasonic Lumix FZ200 - $600(B&H)

key specifications:
24x 25-600mm equivalent lens with F2.8 across the zoom range
12.1-megapixel High Sensitivity MOS sensor 12 fps continuous shooting High Speed Video at 120 fps (HD) or 240 fps (VGA) 1080 60p video recording in AVCHD or MP4 formats
0.2-inch EVF (Electronic View Finder) with 1,312,000 dot equivalent resolution 3.0-inch, free-angle 460,000-dot LCD screen Panorama Shot mode RAW and RAW+JPEG data recording option

vs.

Canon SX50 - $400
12.1 megapixel high-sensitivity CMOS sensor
50x optical zoom (24-1200mm) and 24mm wide-angle lens with Optical Image Stabilizer

For me, no brainer, SX50 wins for less $ and bigger zoom.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote