Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2013, 11:45 PM   #1

Default Fixed Length 18" - Macro pictures

Hey guys,

I'm new to these forums, and know enough about cameras to know how much I don't know.

Any advice on what to get that meets these parameters:

$400-$600 (ish)
Fixed length - roughly 18 inches. Will be mounted in custom made box
Taking pictures of electronic components (motherboards), and want to be able to zoom in with sharp clarity

Currently we are doing this with an el-cheapo pocket camera, and we are looking at buying a modern pocket camera. I'm thinking SLR with specific lens and o-ring flash.
Trathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2013, 6:58 AM   #2

Macro is an entirely different thing when it comes to interchangeable lens cameras. It's not like you can just "zoom" to size.

Can you describe the dimensions of the subjects and if that's what you want to fill the frame?

A macro lens alone is $400 to $600. They can fill the frame with a subject the size of a US penny?

Try to explain what you are doing or link to an example. This might not be macro at all.

What does "fixed length - 18" mean" ?

EDIT: I get it now. You have duplicate posts, but the other describes "fixed distance" of 18". So, you don't need "macro". You just want to be able to fill the frame with a normal subject from a distance of 18" to the camera body?

Last edited by BBbuilder467; May 31, 2013 at 7:18 AM. Reason: duplicate posts
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 10:20 AM   #3

How big are the "electronic components (motherboards)"? With a fixed focus distance of 18 inches, the size of the subject will determine the angle of view, and thus the focal length of the lens you'll need.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4

BTW, the focus distance is measured from the subject to the image sensor (near the back of the camera body.) That means that the thickness of the body and the length of the lens all come out of that 18 inches. That's pretty tight for a conventional lens, and a macro lens will bust your budget. How inflexible is that 18 inches?
Old May 31, 2013, 4:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trathor View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to these forums, and know enough about cameras to know how much I don't know.

Any advice on what to get that meets these parameters:

$400-$600 (ish) Fixed length - roughly 18 inches. Will be mounted in custom made box. Taking pictures of electronic components (motherboards), and want to be able to zoom in with sharp clarity

Currently we are doing this with an el-cheapo pocket camera, and we are looking at buying a modern pocket camera. I'm thinking SLR with specific lens and o-ring flash.
G'day mate

Maybe you have an extra-special requirement for this - but have you considered using an old film enlarger??

There are many old film enlargers in junk shops with a $20tag on them
Look for one with a sloping metal column
Unscrew & dispose of the original film enlarger head and replace it with your camera [it will use the same 1/4" whitworth screw thread]
You can then wind the camera up/down the column to get things in size & focus with perfect alignment to the baseboard

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 5:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
... [it will use the same 1/4" whitworth screw thread] ...
FWIW, the 1/4-20 screw thread is a Unified coarse (UNC) screw thread, not a Whitworth screw thread. The difference is slight (Unified threads have a 60 thread angle, while Whitworth uses a 55 thread angle) but it can be crucial. You can put a Unified screw in an Whitworth nut, but not vice versa.

Last edited by TCav; May 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM.