Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:54 PM   #1

Default DSLR for family pictures and kids sports

I am looking into purchasing a DSLR for snapshots of my kids on vacation, family pictures, sports photos and short videos. I want to keep the price under $500. I understand that I am limited at my price point but would love some input as to what camera would suit my needs best.

I am looking at these cameras at best buy

$499 - Nikon - D3100 14.2-Megapixel DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 55-200mm Lenses

$449 - Canon - EOS Rebel T3 12.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body with Lens Kit) - 18 mm-55 mm Lens
I am not particular as to what model or any of that. These are just camera's that I am looking into but I really don't know much about them. Just want an affordable camera that will meet my needs. Thank you!

Kara3312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:15 PM   #2

Best buy has this camera on sale for $599....
Sony Alpha SLTA58K 20.1MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens & 75-300mm Lens

Would this be a good deal? Or is it too much for my limited needs?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:04 PM   #3

Buying a dSLR is making a commitment to a system, and I'm reluctant to endorse any low-ball solution to anyone's problems. You'd be buying a better camera than you'd get with a P&S, but you'd be getting worse lenses (especially the telephoto zooms you mentioned), so your images probably wouldn't be any better than you might be getting now, or that you could get with a bridge P&S in a similar price range.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Buying a dSLR is making a commitment to a system, and I'm reluctant to endorse any low-ball solution to anyone's problems. You'd be buying a better camera than you'd get with a P&S, but you'd be getting worse lenses (especially the telephoto zooms you mentioned), so your images probably wouldn't be any better than you might be getting now, or that you could get with a bridge P&S in a similar price range.

Is there a specific point and shoot that you would recommend?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:35 PM   #5

Let me put what TCav is saying another way - of the 3 people I know that bought an inexpensive DSLR thinking that it would magically give them better photos - in EVERY case they are back to using a digicam because the bulk of the DSLR far outweighed the benefits they were getting. Heck, a friend of mine had a very nice DSLR and good telezoom (Canon 70-300 IS USM) and he's back to using a pocketable digicam or cell phone for his kids sports.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara3312 View Post
Is there a specific point and shoot that you would recommend?
I don't really keep up with P&S cameras, but I can tell you that I've seen some great shots from Sony's H-Series cameras. I can't tell you how they compare with other brands, though.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Let me put what TCav is saying another way - of the 3 people I know that bought an inexpensive DSLR thinking that it would magically give them better photos - in EVERY case they are back to using a digicam because the bulk of the DSLR far outweighed the benefits they were getting. Heck, a friend of mine had a very nice DSLR and good telezoom (Canon 70-300 IS USM) and he's back to using a pocketable digicam or cell phone for his kids sports.
I see. I have used both a Nikon and a Canon Rebel that I borrowed from friends. Although I liked them and got what I consider good pictures from them. I got equally good pictures from my Coolpix P510. I really appreciate the input as I do not want to waste money on a product that I don't need. =)
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8

i would suggest a panasonic FZ200 (or the FZ150 if you can find one and the price is lower). it shoots fast, the long zoom is very useful, the EVF can be very handy, and i got good pics of moving things with my FZ150 like birds in flight.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...s=panasonic+FZ

with $500 to spend, you wouldn't be able to get the lenses you'd need on a DSLR or micro four thirds camera to shoot at a distance or in low light. a digicam like the FZ200 with its light multi-purpose lens, good quality video, and pretty fast lens for the length is probably more useful and definitely more budget-conscious.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:12 PM   #9
Banned

These are two similar cameras that will fulfill your basic needs but be overwhelmed by sport photography. The Canon got slightly better reviews:
http://www.claritific.com/Canon_EOS_Rebel_T3i/
than the Nikon:
http://www.claritific.com/Nikon_D3100/

You can also look at a feature comparison here:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3-vs-Nikon_D3100

In the end you are also buying into the camera family. As you acquirer lenses and accessories you grow more and more committed to one brand. So consider the lineup of Nikon vs Canon and which one you could see yourself growing into.
Ergoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:21 AM   #10

Since you started this topic asking about dSLRs, now that you changed your focus to P&S cameras, you might get more attention by starting a new topic with a title more appropriate for what you're looking for now.