Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:10 PM   #1

Default Mirror-less Cameras

i just saw several mirror-less cameras for the first time. The store had sony, Olympus and Nikon. If I want to stay under $500, what model of which brand do you recommend, or are they apples to apples as a rule. Also, are any of the 'Last Years Models' a good bet to keep the cost down?
Thanks for the help!
sturner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:42 PM   #2

G'day 333

I cannot recommend any sort of camera without knowing what type of photography you enjoy / intend to do ... what features? what lenses? etc etc

I personally have a G2 which I very enjoy

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:27 PM   #3

I am just looking for a better picture and zoom but not as big as dslr. Would like to stay as far below $500 as possible.
sturner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:54 AM   #4

"Better picture"- compared to what...? How much zoom...? What will you be shooting..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturner333 View Post
I am just looking for a better picture and zoom but not as big as dslr. Would like to stay as far below $500 as possible.
Mirrorless cameras cost about the same as entry level dSLRs, and generally speaking, their lenses aren't as good and/or cost more than lenses for dSLRs. If you don't want a dSLR, you're probably going to give up picture quality, and you probably won't save any money.

Last edited by TCav; Jun 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:35 AM   #6

If you want to get a good understanding on mirror less cameras, the benefits, features, why and where they excel, than I would suggest you look at
http://www.sansmirror.com/
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirrorl...le-lens_camera
As others have mentioned, correctly, it's difficult-no impossible to make any kind or recommendations without understanding your photography preferences and skill level.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:34 AM   #7

What I think is a major disadvantage to mirrorless cameras, that isn't discussed at either of the sites that Zig suggested is that the shorter flange focal distance (the distance between the lens mount and the image sensor) requires lenses to bend light more in order to project an image over the entire image sensor. As a result, lenses for mirrorless cameras tend to have more chromatic aberration, more vignetting and more field curvature (corner softness) than equivalent lenses for dSLRs that have longer flange focal distances. Some, if not all of these problems can be corrected, but often aren't, and when they are, the resulting lenses are more expensive than equivalent lenses for dSLRs.

Compare, for instance, the $198 Sony Alpha 18-55 standard zoom lens to the $298 Sony NEX 18-55 standard zoom lens, the $249 Olympus 4/3 14-42 to the $299 Olumpus m4/3 14-42, or the $199 Canon EF-S 18-55 to the $259 Canon EF-M 18-55.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturner333 View Post
i just saw several mirror-less cameras for the first time. The store had sony, Olympus and Nikon. If I want to stay under $500, what model of which brand do you recommend, or are they apples to apples as a rule. Also, are any of the 'Last Years Models' a good bet to keep the cost down?
Thanks for the help!
Of the current mirror-less offerings I would recommend you go with micro four thirds (Olympus/Panasonic) since they have the most comprehensive lens line up.

In your price range I would look at the Olympus E-PL5 or the Olympus E-PM2. Both models have the newest Sony sourced sensor. The E-PL5 is the better of the two offering more controls and a tilt-screen. B&H has it with the kit lens for $529 or same price from Olympus directly, if you're okay with factory refurbished cammeta auctions on ebay has it with the kit lens and accessories for $499

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3606725...Types&var=sbar

That would be my recommendation. I'd shy away from the older 12MP sensor equipped Olympus cameras as the new sensor offers much better high ISO performance.

Panasonic has some nice cameras too but their biggest advantage is video which doesn't sound like a big need for you. Sony has arguably an advantage since it uses a slightly bigger sensor but the lens offerings are less numerous.

In the end you have to consider that you're buying into a system and you will likely buy more lenses as time goes on.

So point being think about what other lenses you will buy and price out a system that you will build towards before making a decision.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:14 PM   #9

the olympus fathers day sale is going on through tomorrow. you could get an E-PM2 with lens for under $500. i got mine during their mothers day sale, and i must say the sensor is very nice.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:50 PM   #10

With micro 4/3 cameras the issues with most distortion form the lenses are corrected by the camera. So it is not to big of an issue. Olympus and Panasonic both does a good job correcting some of the small short falls of the lenses.

The larger sensor mirrors camera with APS-C are nice like canon, sony and samsung, but the lenses are about the same size as a dslr lens. So when you are using larger zoom lenses, they tend to be larger. But the bigger sensor gives them a slight advantage at higher iso then m4/3 and the smaller nikon sensors.

Nikon is the smaller sensor, so the lens options are more compact. Except when you shoot at higher iso, they preform well.

Between the 3 formats, for traveling I go with M4/3. I have couple of dslr, but I prefer the compact setup of the M4/3 lenses and compact body.