Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:48 PM   #1

Default What camera to buy?

Hey all!

I am looking to buy my first camera (that is not attached to my smartphone) ever and need some help!
I have a hobby in which I paint miniatures (Warhammer to be precise).
What I want to be able to do with my camera is the following:
-Film detailed tutorials on how to paint these models
-Take detailed pictures of the finished products
-Take pictures when I'm on vacation with my girlfriend or when I have a family weekend in such a way that I can be really proud of the results.

The two camera's Im stuck at at the moment can most likely do the last point I mentioned, so Im mostly conserned about the first two.
Since I found out that people in shops never understand what I want (and they tend to just want to sell me the brand that they get the highest margin of) perhaps this video is nice to show what I want to do with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IdnSTwxmoY

This models is about 14 cm high, which is somewhat the highest model I would most likely paint. All other models are more in the 4-5cm range.

So what camera's am I stuck at?
The Nikon d3200 and the Sony SLT-a58
and with the nikon I'm also stuck with: 18x55 vr or 18x105 vr? (With sony I only have a budget for 18x55)

So the main thing I want to be able to do is: take 1080p movies of small objects that move alot (When I paint I dont keep the model fixed at one point, but I do want it to stay as sharp as possible).

These camera's are the most I can afford so my question: Any of these two? or a completely different camera (bridge maybe?).

Thank you very much!
Arjan
Arjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:13 PM   #2

The Sony does a better job at video than the Nikon. The Sony 18-55 has a minimum focus distance of 9 inches (about 4 inches in front of the lens), so you should be ok there. Video, even HD video only uses 2MP of a 20MP/24MP sensor, so they're both overkill. 16MP (Nikon D5100 or D7000 or Sony A57, A55, or A37, all of which use the same Sony sensor) can capture excellent stills and great video, so you could save some money on the camera body to increase your arsenal of lenses.

Another consideration is that any of the 25 year old Minolta AF lenses on the used market will work fine and be stabilized on a Sony body. That can't be said about the Nikon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:54 PM   #3

So would you say that perhaps, for my needs, the Nikon Coolpix P510 or P520(for example) would also be a great choice? because this camera is alot cheaper.

The D7000 and A57 are outside my budget unfortunately.
The 5100 is a model I did not yet consider but might be worth looking at if I can get a good deal .

Thank you!

edit:
I will also look more into Sony

edit2:
Just noticed i was looking at the wrong 5100 shop. I found out that it is withing my budget so will look at it! (and keep looking at all the options)

Last edited by Arjan; Jun 11, 2013 at 6:56 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:08 PM   #4

The A57 (if you can find one) is cheaper than the A58 you were considering (as is the A37.)

I don't keep up on P&S cameras, but I'm certain someone else here could offer you some suggestions along that line. I will say that Sony's AF system would work better than the AF systems of most P&S cameras for what you want to do.

Last edited by TCav; Jun 11, 2013 at 7:14 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:15 PM   #5

Hmm perhaps I write it down wrong because in my search I get hgiher prices for the A57. I'll link what I search because perhaps we do not talk about the same camera .

http://snapsort.com/compare/Sony-SLT...s-Sony-SLT-A58

Thanks for your replies ofcourse!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:38 PM   #6

Arjan- if a DSLR on a budget with movie capture is what your after, the A37 would seem the logical choice.
If you're considering a "bridge", Panasonic's FZ200 is the best all rounder (in my opinion...)- and I wouldn't entertain the Nikon as the AF is garbage.... on stills and movies...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote