Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1

Default ccd vs cmos vs ???

Hi,
After reading quite a bit about which cameras produce better images in low light, I came to the conclusion that CMOS sensors are best. However, an article I read this morning listed 2 or 3 cameras, with CCD sensors (admittedly at very high megapixels and way out of my price range), as the best. So.... my question is. Am I deluding myself by assuming the CMOS is better than CCD, all other things being equal?
Thanks,
...... john
P.S. I know NOTHING about camera sensors.
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:23 PM   #2

I think you're deluding yourself by trying to figure out which technology is better than the other. There's a lot more that goes into a quality image than the type of image sensor used to capture it. The quality of the lens makes far more difference than the type of process used to lay out the chip on the silicon wafer.

Find the camera with the best lenses than most faithfully records an image, and forget whether it's CCD or CMOS or whatever.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:19 AM   #3

Which sensor is best is immaterial... as TCav suggests,image quality/capture is the sum of many parts from sensor/processor/lens etc... not sensor alone...
Besides,as more and more cameras are utilising CMOS sensors,you'll soon have no choice anyway...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 1:12 PM   #4

So...... you wouldn't lean toward cmos sensors?
.... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:12 PM   #5

Not per se, no. I wouldn't narrow my choices based on CD vs. CMOS. I'd use, in no particular order, size, weight, cost, resolution, features, performance, reliability, service, range and quality of optics, etc.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 5:30 AM   #6

When I bought my first digital camera, I bought a Nikon Coolpix L3 5.1 MP, and I took some very good pictures. I kept moving up the line, I knew nothing about sensors, I did know that a single-lens reflex was what I really wanted. But that had to wait a few years, and I went through most of the coolpix line until I got my Nikon D60 DSLR. I took some very nice pictures with it. But what I really needed was a good telephoto, as my 55-200 lens didn't cut it. a 600mm Nikor lens is over $10,000, and way out of my price range.

BUT.. I found a Fuji HS20 with a 720mm manual zoom lens with a CMOS sensor. NOW I take amazing pictures, and I can get up close & personal.

My take is, a camera is only as good as the person standing behind it

FujiHS20 (used all the time)
Nikon Coolpix L24 (used all the time)
Nikon D60 DSLR (rarely used anymore)
Olympus 8000 (never used anymore, as I lost my data cable).
Pantharen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:12 PM   #7

Private message sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi,
After reading quite a bit about which cameras produce better images in low light, I came to the conclusion that CMOS sensors are best. However, an article I read this morning listed 2 or 3 cameras, with CCD sensors (admittedly at very high megapixels and way out of my price range), as the best. So.... my question is. Am I deluding myself by assuming the CMOS is better than CCD, all other things being equal?
Thanks,
...... john
P.S. I know NOTHING about camera sensors.
chippedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippedoff View Post
Private message sent.
I'm certain it will be helpful.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'm certain it will be helpful.

A huh.
chippedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:14 AM   #10

CMOS sensors (at least some of them) are seen as better for low light shooting and burst modes. I had a Panasonic FZ47, which had CCD. Its image quality was pretty good, but the burst mode was something like 3 frames a second for just a second. I have an FZ200, which can shoot 12 frames a second for something like 18 shots. There is more involved there than just the sensor, but the sensor is one of the factors.
However, I would not choose a camera on the basis of the sensor. It's just one of many factors. The lens, the processor. the zoom range, the low light image quality, the shutter lag, the speed of the burst mode, the ergonomics, and other things are more important,
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote