Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:45 PM   #1

Default Nikon D7100 or GH3 for stills?

I'm looking to upgrade my GH2 and I was wondering which of these are better for stills and why?

Last edited by acuriousman; Jun 17, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
acuriousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2013, 5:13 AM   #2

The D7100 has more resolution (which may or may not be an issue...) and a wider dynamic range. Colour depth/accuracy would seem to go the way of the Nikon also- though given the GH3's improved high iso performance, the gap in this area is narrower that it use to be... and certainly improves over the GH2.
Single shot AF on the Panny's quick- though continuous AF is less impressive apparently- also beware that the 6fps burst shooting doesn't offer live/continuous view (unlike Nikon's optical viewfinder...)- you'll have to drop to 4fps for that...

If you're not pushing the boundaries of single shot exposure or into sports shooting,the differences between the two might not be much of an issue...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:47 AM   #3

So is there a MASSIVE jump in image quality with the D7100 vs the GH2/GH3 or is it minor?

I couldn't find any head to head comparisons online so I'm a little lost, haha.
All I want is better image quality for portraits and quick autofocus for events.
acuriousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:19 PM   #4

I guess "minor" is subjective- I'd say there isn't a huge gap at all,and in normal "everyday" shooting I don't think one would really notice- unless he/she went looking for it.
The GH3 is an improvement on the GH2...

With regards AF speed- the Panny is pretty quick in single shot mode with usual kit lens- whilst the AF system is superior on the Nikon,you'll need a decent lens to get the benefit of that AF system- Nikon's basic kit lenses,whilst optically decent,are quite slow in the AF department.

If you're going to be shooting portraits,you might appreciate the shallower depth of field available (all else being equal) with an APS-C sensor- never mind Nikon's vast lens range...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:23 PM   #5

Keep in mind for portraits - you lighting setup, backgrounds and, in the case of shallow-dof portraits your lens used will be of far more importance to your success. Any DSLR body will perform poorly for portrait work if you don't address those other factors.

For "event" work - be more specific. What "events" are you shooting? And in what capacity? That will determine what camera features are important to success which will in turn determine if one camera or system has an advantage over the other.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:45 PM   #6

I have to say that I have neither of these cameras. My DSLRs have been Pentax and Sony. However, I would pick the Nikon D7100. From what I have read, its stills are slightly better with more dynamic range and low light picture quality. Its sensor is bigger, so that shouldn't surprise anyone. However, you have the GH2 and the GH3 is supposed to be visibly better (I refer to the GH3 review on dpreview for this). You are also used to the GH type of camera. You could use your old lenses on this new camera. Also, though you specified still picture quality, the video quality of the GH3 is supposed to be superb.
John G and Simon40 both know a lot more about cameras than I do, and they are right when they say that the lens is the most important thing in getting top image quality. That said, I would pick the Nikon D7100 if you didn't care about video and price were not an issue.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuriousman View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my GH2 and I was wondering which of these are better for stills and why?
You would be well served in reading the in depth reviews of both the D7100 & the GH3 as published by DPReview. Here is a final word from the GH3 review:
"Conclusion:
The GH3 arrives into a market much more competitive than its predecessor did - it's far from the only camera in town with extensive video features. For us the GH3's stills capabilities, while good, are not enough to make it stand out - Olympus' more compact E-M5 produces nicer JPEGs, while the likes of Nikon's D7100 offer an edge in stills image quality. As a result, it remains a camera that stands and falls on its video capabilities. However that video quality is currently unmatched.

The lack of focus confirmation tools while shooting footage substantially increases the challenge of consistently getting the best results out of the camera, which takes a little of the gloss off this capability. However, the touch-focus system will allow beginners to tap into the GH3's impressive video quality, and dedicated video shooters will find their way 'round these limitations, so it doesn't completely undermine the camera's prowess in this area.

So, while it probably wouldn't quite gain a Gold Award if viewed purely as a stills camera, it gains that title for putting the highest quality footage currently available at this price within reach of anyone with even a passing interest in video."

As has been mentioned, you also have to factor in:

1- the investment of lenses that you currently have vs. starting all over again with another brand.Will your current lenses provide you with the results you require.
2-Do you print the images you take, and how large. D7100 has a 24mp sensor.GH3 -16mp.

Events, Since you did not elaborate, it is impossible to suggest anything.

The Nikon D5200 shares the same sensor as the D7100 and gives up very little in terms of image quality.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote