Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:10 PM   #1

Default Sports Pics (Hockey)

Need a new camera to take pics of my son. Primarily of his sports. He is an avid hockey player and plays about 10 mos of the year. Shooting often through glass with a lot of white reflecting back from ice. Want to try to stay in budget of 500-700$. Please advise. Thanks.
matthew229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:44 PM   #2

To shoot sports, you need long focal lengths and fast shutter speeds.

To shoot sports indoors, you need long focal lengths and fast shutter speeds, supplemented with large apertures and/or high ISO settings.

An appropriate dSLR lens will exceed your budget all by itself.

Also, a fast autofocus system is a good idea. ... which rules out all P&S and most mirrorless systems.

You could try a superzoom camera, and you could get an occasional good shot, but for consistently good photos you'll need a dSLR and a large aperture telephoto zoom lens.

Shooting through glass isn't an issue since anything on the glass will be out of focus.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:47 AM   #3

I assume we're talking about "Ice" hockey...?
All of what TCav says is true- for top results your budget is way too small...

With regards a superzoom- the only one that would give you "reasonable" results would be the Panasonic FZ200 (and well within budget...).
It's fast AF,fast lens,fast burst mode would give you a decent shot at getting some "keepers"...
Here's one such attempt from an FZ200 user...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rudypoh...7632140560443/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:04 AM   #4

The FZ200 is the best you can do within your budget. I would suggest trying to find FZ200 ice hockey shots to see if it is "good enough" for you. It's your money and only you can decide. It would kind of stink to spend that much money and find out the results are not up to your expectations.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The FZ200 is the best you can do within your budget. I would suggest trying to find FZ200 ice hockey shots to see if it is "good enough" for you. It's your money and only you can decide. It would kind of stink to spend that much money and find out the results are not up to your expectations.
You might try and google fz200 hockey images or try PBase.com & Smugmug.com

FWIW I was able to find a few on PBase.com

http://www.pbase.com/annefromgatineau/sports__games

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:04 AM   #6

There is a Canon Rebel T3i and a Nikon D3200 DSLR in my price range that I am also considering. I am replacing a Panasonic bridge camera. It took great pics and worked well in all situations except sports pics while he was at ice rink. Thanks for all your help.
matthew229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew229 View Post
There is a Canon Rebel T3i and a Nikon D3200 DSLR in my price range that I am also considering.
True, but appropriate lenses for what you want to do cost more than those cameras. The least expensive one is the Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 Di, which sells for $769.

When shopping for dSLRs, the cost of the camera is generally a minor consideration, especially when you've got something special in mind. And shooting indoor sports is special.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:22 AM   #8

And, the Tamron is still probably a poor option given the price because it does not focus very fast. So, the Sigma 70-200 2.8. is probably the least expensive option at $900. You can still find it on Amazon. Sigma has moved to an OS (optical stabilization) model and jacked up the price to $1250. While using something like an 85mm 1.8 lens is a potential option it's kind of a poor option for hockey because action takes place at such varying distances and you don't already have the camera body. So, there's risk with going with a fixed focal length lens. Still, an 85mm 1.8 is $370 for Canon or $460 for nikon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:50 AM   #9

No equipment opinions, one of the responders that has given advice to this thread is already a pro sports shooter

This Steves article might be of interest to you
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...y-moments.html

Well OK, a minor observation/opinion
Really just an FYI, one of my favorite lenses (Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 non OS) is way to slow focusing for hockey, it works very well for other sports where things don't move quite that fast. If I had to select another new lens for something like hockey, I'd try to run with the 70-200 previously mentioned.

But also as mentioned those options are many, many times your stated budget just for the lens(es) themselves if you decide to go the DSLR route.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:03 AM   #10

No one here is telling you that you can't do what you want. I think we're saying that you can go with something like the Panasonic FZ200 and you might occasionally get lucky, but if you want to get good shots on a regular basis, you'll need gear that will cost much more than you seem to be willing to spend.