Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:21 PM   #1

Default Pocketable GPS Travel Camera?

I need to buy a replacement camera (sand killed my last one) for my travels. I am a fairly active person, and like a light, pocketable travel camera I can take backpacking, to the beach, etc.

I was looking at the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest some alternatives I can research. I need GPS in this purchase, and will likely have it turned on the majority of the time.

My issues with the SX260 (in order of priority):
  • Concerned with low battery life. I would consider buying an extra battery pack, but if I am off-the-grid for a week, I'd like to be able to take ~50 to 60 shots a day for 6 or 7 days on two packs. With the GPS on and this camera already reviewing as power-hungry, I'm not sure even 2 packs will last me that long
  • Concerned with the size. I'd like someone a little smaller / more easily pocketable, if at all possible
  • Some reviewers mentioned some durability issues. I don't need a "ruggedized" camera, but a little moisture, sand, or light banging around just happens from time to time on the trail. Some reviews are leaving me concerned this camera is a little more fragile than average
  • Response times are reviewed as a little sluggish. I'd ideally like the ability to take 5 or 6 shots in rapid succession of a slow-moving scene, and I'm concerned the response times for this camera are going to reduce the number of shots I can take in my limited time frame (think: moving wildlife, not "running-speed," but more normal resting / walking movement)

Can anyone suggest some alternative point and shoots I should look at? I'd like something in or below the price range of ~$250 / $275.

Is the Canon PS SX260 HS just a really good option here, and I should just learn to work around the concerns above? Or is there something else out there I should do a bit of research on before pulling the trigger?

Thank you!!

Last edited by Rokuk; Jun 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Rokuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:57 PM   #2

Sony's HX20/30v and the Panasonic TZ30/40 are obvious competitors to the SX260- and the operational performance is good on both...
Some quotes on battery life with the Sony- 300 with GPS, 400 without...
The Panasonic- 175 with GPS, 260 without...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:26 PM   #3

Hi Simon - thank you very much for the comparisons. I'll look into those models further.

In the mean time, can you point out where you were seeing the battery quotes for with and without GPS for those models? I'd like to see what the SX260 is quoted at *with GPS* from the same source. The Steve's DigiCams review of the SX260 didn't seem to estimate a specific "with GPS" scenario, just that it drained the battery more quickly. I'm trying to quantify just how bad it is.

Thank you for your wisdom!
Rokuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:49 AM   #4

The website I used for the battery life figures was photographyblog.com- which quoted the Canon's battery life at 230 shots with GPS off and 100-150 with it activated...

The Canon-
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...260_hs_review/

The Panny'-
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...c_tz30_review/

The Sony-
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._hx20v_review/

Panny's latest model,the TZ40(ZS30) offers improved battery life,with a 225/300 split... however,Canon's latest SX280hs is down,with a 210/100-150 split...!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote