Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 30, 2013, 5:01 PM   #1

Default Interchangeable lens cameras NX1000 or Nikon 1 J1

Okay so I'm in the market to buy a camera and I was considering the interchangeable digital lens cameras. I've ended up with a headache, I need a camera that performs relatively well with a high ISO cause I will be taking pictures of cities at night. And I need the day pictures to be bright and lively in color I don't like dull pictures cause when it's cloudy it just gets worse. And I don't feel like spending too much time on photoshop brightening up the colors. Any suggestions would be great! Even if it's different from the Nikon or samsung
Alicecass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:24 AM   #2

With regards high iso performance, Sony's NEX line are one of the best....
The NX1000's ok- but don't get the 20-50 lens- no stabilizer and slow to focus...
The J1's a decent lil' cam- I had a V1 and found it to be very competent all round...perhaps not quite the best at high iso settings- but certainly decent...
Olympus's E-P/E-Pl's offer in body stabilization, as opposed to most others lens based- offering stabilization to ANY lens mounted....
Then there's the Panasonic G/GF line to look at.... which utilizes the popular 4/3 mount of the Olympus...
Of all of the above, I'd suggest the Oly EPl's offer a great all round system...
A wide range of lenses (all of which can be stabilized),good focus speeds and sharpness with the basic kit lens and possibly the most "perky" shots straight out of the camera- though much of that I guess comes down to personal preference.
Beware however,that if it's cloudy or dull- the camera will try to capture just that- and if you want a brighter/more vivid shot,consider a contrast/saturation tweak in camera or one of the increasingly available built in digital filters or effects...(though they're not my thing...!)
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:20 AM   #3

When comparing interchangeable lens cameras, my first inclination is to look at the cost and quality of the lenses, and suggest a body that can use the best, most affordable lenses. I'd say that the Nikon mirrorless system is a very good bet.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicecass View Post
Okay so I'm in the market to buy a camera and I was considering the interchangeable digital lens cameras. I've ended up with a headache, I need a camera that performs relatively well with a high ISO cause I will be taking pictures of cities at night. And I need the day pictures to be bright and lively in color I don't like dull pictures cause when it's cloudy it just gets worse. And I don't feel like spending too much time on photoshop brightening up the colors. Any suggestions would be great! Even if it's different from the Nikon or samsung
For your stated shooting goals;
high ISO at night you'll want the best sensor you can afford
and
for bright, lively colors and city shooting you'll want fast primes

From what I have seen the Nikon 1 series is not going to deliver on the high ISO performance. I don't know much on Samsung NX series but to me they have always been a copy of Sony Nex series though they seem to be getting better. I would caution against them however because they don't have any third party lens makers, there is a real possibility that the system you are buying into may get abandoned by Samsung should the electronics giant decide to ditch the camera division.

Again for your stated purposes I would look at Fuji X series or the latest Olympus offerings (E-PM2, E-PL5, OM-D EM-5, or E-P5). The Fuji sensor will deliver at night as will the Sony built 16MP sensor in the latest Olympus offerings. With either the Fuji or the Olympus you have a number of great street lenses for $600 or under.

Sony Nex would also be worth checking out but relative to the Olympus or Fuji cameras the lens options are somewhat limited (slowish sony/sigma or pricey Zeiss options).

I guess the thing to know now is what is your budget?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:31 AM   #5

for bright, lively colors you could just adjust your camera to use vivid instead of natural colors. i had a sony NEX 5R that did great in low light and wonderfully in daylight, as does my E-PM2.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:35 AM   #6

Might look at the Canon EOS M there are some big discounts on it for a few days.
B&H has the EOS M with a 18-55 lens for 350$ until July 9
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_with.html

and with the 22mm f/2 lens for 299$ until July 9

Not sure what is going on though, Adorama is showing the EOS M as being discontinued?
http://www.adorama.com/ICAMK.html?discontinued=t

Not finding anything at the Canon sites about it being discontinued yet,
though Canon's Masaya Maeda did say worldwide sales of the mirrorless camera were a big disappointment for them.

Last edited by PeterP; Jul 5, 2013 at 9:05 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Might look at the Canon EOS M there are some big discounts on it for a few days.
B&H has the EOS M with a 18-55 lens for 350$ until July 9

and with the 22mm f/2 lens for 299$ until July 9

Not sure what is going on though, Adorama is showing the EOS M as being discontinued?
http://www.adorama.com/ICAMK.html?discontinued=t

Not finding anything at the Canon sites about it being discontinued yet,
though Canon's Masaya Maeda did say worldwide sales of the mirrorless camera were a big disappointment for them.
lol and worldwide mirrorless camera fans said the EOS-M was a big disappointment for them too!!

Seriously though the reason the EOS-M is already (less than a year old) in the bargain bin was because it isn't very good, slow autofocus, no EVF option, no built in flash and a high original price made it a miss.

I would really love to see Canon take their new PDAF on a chip sensor out of the 70D and put it in a mirrorless follow up to the EOS-M with a built in EVF, weather seal it and sell it for $999 they'd steal a bunch of OM-D and GH3 buyers back. However I think they're too worried about stepping on their own DSLR line (Rebel SL1 specifically) to do this.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:54 PM   #8

Canon came late to the party, and didn't bring anything noteworthy.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote