Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:27 PM   #1

Default Which camera for an interested teenager?

Hello,

My daughter turned 12 last April and since then she has been showing a lot of interest in photography. She's very attracted to nature scenery and animals (specially birds). I want to support her in this new interest but I'm a complete ignorant about photography and cameras, so I need to be careful in order to avoid frustrating her introduction.

Based on my very limited knowledge, I've been researching some cameras and the Fujifilm FinePix S4800 caught my attention. My budget is $300.

I'll greatly appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Regards,
Richard
regrullong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:56 PM   #2

Panasonic's FZ60 (the FZ200's baby brother...) is one of the best "budget" bridges...

The S4800's "ok", but the Panny focuses MUCH faster (ideal for twitchy wildlife...),has a faster burst mode/shot to shot time and has a MUCH better lens... even if a little shorter than the Fuji at the long end...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:56 AM   #3

Any of the super zooms, just make sure it does not have a lot of shutter lag. Then stand back and watch her out shoot you all day long.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:40 AM   #4

If you haven't already purchased a camera I would suggest the Nikon L820. A decent bridge camera. Fast shutter and 30x zoom. I'm pleased with it so far. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a view finder. This maybe an issue. I just ordered a shade cover for mine. I'll see how it works out. My son is also a photo bug. Plus, he is actually pretty good at it. just ordered him a Nikon D3100 for a combination graduation/birthday present. He has a couple of Fujifilm cameras and a Kodak. The fujis are nice. But I've seen them struggle to focus at times which caused him some frustration because it caused him to loose a shot. I have a older Fujifilm S700 that I still use.
Weebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 6:59 PM   #5

Another option is to consider a used DSLR. Try to find a used Sony DSLR (try B& H Photo).

You can probably get a used Sony alpha with a kit lens for $300.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by regrullong View Post
Hello,

My daughter turned 12 last April and since then she has been showing a lot of interest in photography. She's very attracted to nature scenery and animals (specially birds). I want to support her in this new interest but I'm a complete ignorant about photography and cameras, so I need to be careful in order to avoid frustrating her introduction.

Based on my very limited knowledge, I've been researching some cameras and the Fujifilm FinePix S4800 caught my attention. My budget is $300.

I'll greatly appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Regards,
Richard
To meet the upcoming generation of photographers like your daughter, Fujifilm, Canon & many other camera brands release good range of camera models which can definitely meet your requirements for clicking best shots. I reviewed Panasonic's FZ60, Fujifilm FinePix S4800, Sony Cyber-shot RX1, Fujifilm X100S and Nikon D800.
All are top point & shoot cameras, but are quite expensive as compare to the price ($300) mentioned by you. The Fujifilm FinePix S4800 is good to option for your daughter purchase of 1st camera. I would not list too techy features for you so I have mentioned the useful points that can help you & your daughter to make the best buying decision.
- Camera has 3.0-inch (approx.) with TFT color LCD monitor
- 30x Optical Zoom and 7.2x Digital Zoom for quick shoot
- 16 Megapixel Camera for HD Recording
- 3 inch TFT Color LCD Monitor

All in all a good model at better price range. You can review the features alongwith the pros & cons of the model at http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-35629271.html also.
alice-sood is offline   Reply With Quote