Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:16 PM   #1

Default Upgrade from Panasonic ZS3 to G5

I bought a panasonic point and shoot ZS3 three years ago. I like the camera and have taken some great photos. Looking at the various deals and an upcoming vacation to Grand Canyon, I am wondering whether I should upgrade from point and shoot to the next level.

I have been looking at various mirrorless cameras (considering it is better from point and shoot but with interchangeable lenses and better controls) especially G5.

Will it be worth upgrading to mirrorless from my current camera? Is there a new technology that is coming and is it better to wait.
pop77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:47 AM   #2

Much depends on how you used your TZ7- and how you would use a mirrorless camera.
If you used the zoom a great deal on the TZ7 you're probably going to want/need a decent telephoto lens to go with the standard kit lens offered with any mirrorless system- which of course raises the convenience question- do you want to be carrying a bigger camera- in addition to extra lenses...?
I'm guessing that most who go to the Grand Canyon (lucky devils...) would probably be shooting mostly at wide angle or thereabouts- so for that single application I would imagine that the standard kit lens range would suffice from any mirrorless offering...

There's no doubt that the IQ on a G5 would surpass that of the ZS3- especially in lower light- and any of the micro 4/3 bunch is worth a look...(Olympus/Panasonic etc...)

If you would require some zoom, maybe consider the "all in one" merits of something like Panasonics FZ200...
Great lens,fast burst/AF,decent IQ and all the manual control you want....

If zoom is not an issue, maybe consider something like an E-Pl3 with a nice wide angle prime lens attached- which will be quite small- and stabilized as the Oly's stabilizer is in the body...

With regards upcoming technology... is there something you feel that you're missing/something you'd like...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:49 AM   #3

i love the micro four thirds cameras, and the G5 right now is an great deal. i found it very comfortable, and i love the panasonic controls and menus. i had a G3, and the image quality, especially in low light and at high ISOs, was so much better than a p&s, especially if you shoot raw - but even if you don't. whether the G5 is the right camera to take to the grand canyon depends on whether you shoot wide or long, and what lens you have.

there's always something new on the way when it comes to digital cameras. if you wait for the next thing, you'll never get the chance to buy a camera and take some pics.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:55 AM   #4

Thanks for the insights. Good point on something always coming up. The reason for my question is someone told me that Nikon is coming up with a new technology for digital cameras that would revolutionize digital cameras.

The most I miss in my current camera is low light capability and image stability when zoom.

Now I got three books of "Digital photography for dummies" I can start to go nerdy on Shutter speed, ISO, Aperture opening and all that good stuff.

I will look into the Panasonic model you suggested.

I want to ease into taking photography more seriously rather than snapping a some pictures and looks like it is time to upgrade :-)
pop77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:12 AM   #5

actually panasonic and fuji are also coming out with a revolutionary new technology, and canon just announced a new and interesting technology. no reason to believe the first generations of new tech are coming all that soon, nor that the first gen won't have issues.

i like shutter priority, myself - sometimes i just use program, but shutter speed is great when things are moving and you want to freeze them. my husband is an awesome photographer and mostly just uses program.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote