Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:31 AM   #1

Default Looking for a waterproof camera

So I've been doing some research on getting an shockproof/waterproof camera and I'm kind of leaning towards the Olympus Tough TG-1. Basically I want something that is rugged but also takes really nice shots. I was checking out the Sony cybershot DSC-TX20 at a store yesterday and it seemed to take pretty nice photos. The olympus has the option for lens' though which is pretty sweet.
Anyways if anybody has some advice, I would really appreciate it!

Last edited by zakivbk; Aug 12, 2013 at 11:39 PM.
zakivbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:52 AM   #2

I've never been a fan of the "sliding front cover" system deployed by Sony- small grains of sand/dirt frequently get caught under the cover- scratching and grating their way around on power up/down... and if you're a beach goer,worth bearing in mind...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:09 AM   #3

I have a Panasonic Luminux TS-3 and I swear by it. Its weatherproof and it makes tack sharp images. I have even had a front page cover of a local newspaper made from this camera. I know this is an older model so track down a newer version of this and you will be very happy. The autofocus is super fast and even in a driving ran or direct sunlight it makes perfect images every time.

The newest model is he Panasonic Lumix dmc ts5......... sure it cost $350 but worth every penny. IT goes everywhere I go and is always in the grove box of my car when I leave the house.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:20 PM   #4

The Olympus TG-1 (and its successor the TG-2) are pretty competent cameras.

No manual mode. No RAW. But none of the waterproof cameras have that yet.

One of the differences between everyone's waterproof cameras is the speed of the lens. TG-1 and TG-2 have a nice fast lens wide open ( f2.0 ).

And it has a minimal shutter lag.

And its video starts up really quickly too!

And a BSI-CMOS sensor.

The waterproof cameras have limited zoom, but as you pointed out, the Olympus has lens adapters that allow a bit more wide angle and a bit more telephoto. A nice way around the limitation of the lens, especially if you only want to carry around one camera.

NOTE: I've seen a silicone skin for this camera out there somewhere. A nice way to add a bit more impact resistance and keep the camera from getting too scratched.

My buddy has the Olympus TG-1. I've got a FujiXP50 and used to have (before my last vacation) an Olympus 850SW. [Unfortunately my 5-year-old daughter decided to open up the camera in salt water.] So I've started to wonder what is my next waterproof camera too . . . <grin>
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:38 AM   #5

Update:

Our Olympus 850SW is working again!

When it happened, I took it out of the water and pulled the battery out to let it dry. Tried it a few days latter but it still wasn't working. But brought it back home anyway. A week after getting back, I stick a battery in this thing and . . . its working!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:05 PM   #6

That's great news. Olympus has a reputation for making the toughest of the tough/waterproof cameras.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
That's great news. Olympus has a reputation for making the toughest of the tough/waterproof cameras.
From what I've seen, I can believe that.

In our gang, four of us have Olympus tough cameras. Two 850SW cameras, an 810 and a TG-1 and all of them are still working. And the Two 850SW cameras are circa 2008, so those cameras are going on 5 years. Not bad at all! And I haven't been all that careful with ours, so I'm doubly impressed with that! <grin>

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Jul 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM.