Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:02 PM   #11

Accurate or not Ozzie... it simply demonstrates that the more zoom you use,the further away from your subject you have to be to achieve focus.
And that goes for most cameras...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:27 AM   #12

Hi Simon/Phil,
Alright, there must be something I'm missing. One thing is that I've been trying to use the zoom on close shots. It seems like that won't work (just like on my S5..... it 'would not' zoom in super macro) I've also been using Manual, which shouldn't make any difference?? Your pictures definitely show that it works. By the way ..... nice mug!! If you had used macro AF, what would have been the difference?
Thanks,
..... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:18 AM   #13

Howdy John... using zoom when already close to the subject won't work- very few camera's would focus (if any...).
To get really close (say 1"...) you have to be at full wide angle.
With regards the "macro AF" switch- as I shot the mug in iA it makes no difference- it seemed to focus as close as required without needing to flick the switch.

I see no need to zoom when using macro- just get closer, unless you're shooting twitchy things like insects and butterflies etc... where perhaps you could add a close-up lens,giving you greater magnification without getting so close...
I've never used them- but others on the Panny forum here have.
Another option might be to add a tele-converter- again ,getting you closer by default- assuming you don't have to recede even further to achieve focus when this is added..!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:26 PM   #14

Thanks Simon.
..... john
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:48 PM   #15

G'day John

Coming back to your original post ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi, I've been playing with my (new) FZ-150, trying to get a close up of a dragon fly. I was trying from a distance of about 2 feet, and was not able to get focus. If I stood back a foot, the camera focussed fine. I tried every setting I could think of, but no focus at 2 feet. What am I missing here? Thanks, ....... john
You might like to look at Carol's latest post with her FZ40...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...st-insect.html

It might help you work out what & how ...
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:57 AM   #16

Hi Phil,
Yes...... I've seen other posts about shooting full zoom on small objects. I have to assume that this dragonfly is quite a ways back, at least a few feet. That works for me too. It's the 1-3 foot range I have a problem with, where one wants to get closer, and the zoom only seems to make things fuzzier. I've seen other posts suggesting that a closeup lens is the solution in this range. I don't know if this is the general consensus though.
Thanks,
..... john
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi Phil,
Yes...... I've seen other posts about shooting full zoom on small objects. I have to assume that this dragonfly is quite a ways back, at least a few feet. That works for me too. It's the 1-3 foot range I have a problem with, where one wants to get closer, and the zoom only seems to make things fuzzier. I've seen other posts suggesting that a closeup lens is the solution in this range. I don't know if this is the general consensus though. Thanks, ..... john

G'day John

One of my posts related to close up lenses - I use them regularly & enjoy them.

Getting technical for a moment ...
Closeup lenses come in several 'strengths' called Dioptre. The dioptre number [1 or 2 or 3 or 4 ] is the fraction of a metre that the lens focuses at - ie: a +3 Dioptre lens focuses at 1/3 of a metre [or 1-foot for those using foot's !!]

For a lot of my work I use a +4 dioptre lens called a Canon 250D which screws into the filter thread on the front of the main camera lens. It is a +4 dioptre lens and the 250 designation is the 1/4 of a metre that it focuses at

Using this lens also means a tripod for most of the time, although sometimes I'm lucky to get a good clear shot with hand-held

The beauty of using a close up lens - with any main camera lens whatsoever - is that you still have 100% use of the zooming of that lens to change the size of the image while the image remains in focus at 1/3 or 1/4 of a metre depending upon which dioptre lens you are using

The most important thing with close up lenses is 'not to buy a $20 internet cheapie' - the glass is poor & there are other issues associated with cheap stuff
If you are going down this path, I suggest you chase up either the above Canon 250D -or- the Canon 500D &/or the Panasonic LC55 both of which are +2 dioptre lenses

If you would like a PDF explaining their use in more detail, PM me please
Regards, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Aug 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:46 AM   #18

Why is the range from 1 to 3 feet so important? Is it just a "comfort zone" of some sort? I always felt more comfortable in that 18" range, but my FZ28 wouldn't focus at that point without a lot of adjustment. There is a gap between macro and telephoto to deal with in the 18" to 36" distance.

The close-up lenses/diopters do the same thing. If you get the right one, you'll have the right range, but not just "any" range.

A +2 should put you at 20" maximum from the subject and then closer, but not farther. You'll have to be inside 24" for it to focus.

A +1 would mean you could focus at 39" or less and a +4 would be 10" or less, but any would allow you to focus at full zoom.

How diopters work and the difference in image size and distance can be confusing. It might be better to start with a set of Hoya or Kenko single element types. The +1,+2,+4 sets are around $40 US.

A +1 with my 45-200 on a micro 4/3 is what felt like 24" to me as the most comfortable to use. It just felt like that comfortable distance to subject from about 36" to 18". Exactly the spot that was missing in the FZ.

Heliopan is the only company I can find that makes an individual +1. I hate to suggest it, but if it is the "gap" between 18" and 36" that you really are missing, I think it's a +1 diopter that you want.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:36 AM   #19

Hi Phil/BBbuilder,
I wasn't aware that this is how closeups work. I have a set of +1,+2,+3,dioptre, I'll give them a try.
The reason that 1'-3' range is so critical is that I can't always get the right angle farther away, and for insect/spiders etc. like my friend here .....
http://www.shinnen.ca/Argiope%20Aurantia.JPG
I don't really want to get up close and personal. They say he's not venemous..... well..... alright.
.... john
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:32 PM   #20

G'day John

As a general rule - the bigger the web the less toxic [to us] is the venom of the critter
Have a sqwiz at the 'close up' album in my Flikr collection - most of them are shot using a close up lens. Often a +3 [ie I am shooting at 1/3 metre / 1-foot from the subject], but over the years I have used all of +2 or +3 or +4 ... depends on the camera lens in use

Phil