Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:15 PM   #1

Default Looking for an upgrade

Hello all. I currently have a Kodak Easyshare M753 and I'm interested in buying a new camera.

For the most part I take pictures of the cityscape and I also use my camera for family photos. I was hoping to find something that is a step up in terms of photo quality (I get quite a lot of noise on my pictures) and something that has more options than the typical point and shoot. I don't have a very large budget ($250 or less) though and I know I'll have to make concessions.
osnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:16 PM   #2

Have a look here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...quipment-sale/

Don't know if you'll find anything in your price range, but it can't hurt to look.
Al_Kahollick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:33 AM   #3

I saw a few interesting options in there. As for newer cameras I've been doing some research of my own. Some of the cameras that have caught my eye are the following

Canon SX260 HS
Canon SX160 IS
Nikon P310
Samsung WB250F
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:42 AM   #4

I owned a SX240hs (like the 260 without gps) and it was a decent little camera- no complaints on any score.
The P310 might be worth a look if you don't need a large zoom range and/or shoot in lower light frequently...
The SX160is I wouldn't entertain simply due to AA battery power- and the slow performance that goes with it...
The Samsung I'd steer well clear of- ghastly lens performance at anything past mid zoom...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnyc View Post
I saw a few interesting options in there. As for newer cameras I've been doing some research of my own. Some of the cameras that have caught my eye are the following

Canon SX260 HS
Canon SX160 IS
Nikon P310
Samsung WB250F
IMHO, none of those are much of an upgrade. They may have more bells and whistles than your current camera, but limit your creative abilities and will leave you looking to upgrade again in short time. I'd suggest you hold off and try to save a bit more for a DSLR or other interchangeable lens camera that you can "grow into" and expand as needed, rather than replacing every year. Also, the image quality of any kit lens will far outshine any "superzoom" compact camera. Check on line merchants for used gear, a little snooping around can yield some great bargains.

Just my .02

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; Jul 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I owned a SX240hs (like the 260 without gps) and it was a decent little camera- no complaints on any score.
The P310 might be worth a look if you don't need a large zoom range and/or shoot in lower light frequently...
The SX160is I wouldn't entertain simply due to AA battery power- and the slow performance that goes with it...
The Samsung I'd steer well clear of- ghastly lens performance at anything past mid zoom...
I was thinking of the P310, but IDK just yet. I feel having a larger zoom could be something that comes in handy for the sort of photographs I plan on taking.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Kahollick View Post
IMHO, none of those are much of an upgrade. They may have more bells and whistles than your current camera, but limit your creative abilities and will leave you looking to upgrade again in short time. I'd suggest you hold off and try to save a bit more for a DSLR or other interchangeable lens camera that you can "grow into" and expand as needed, rather than replacing every year. Also, the image quality of any kit lens will far outshine any "superzoom" compact camera. Check on line merchants for used gear, a little snooping around can yield some great bargains.

Just my .02
I has been considering an interchangeable lens camera. The thing is that I'm just a bit wary of the cost of getting a new lens. But I am still somewhat interested in one. As for a DSLR, I don't think I'm quite ready for one (both in terms of being able to use one or for the cost). Also prefer something more compact than a DSLR, which is why I'm still considering a P&S.

A few of the interchangeable lens cameras that I have seen that fall into my price range and pique my interests are:

Nikon J1
Olympus E-PM1 and E-PL1
Pentax Q (5 if I'm not mistaken, the range of 229-239)
Panasonic Lumix GF3

Also if its any help these are a few of the pics I typically take.

http://s268.photobucket.com/user/NYO...?sort=3&page=1
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10247423/

Last edited by osnyc; Jul 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnyc View Post
I was thinking of the P310, but IDK just yet. I feel having a larger zoom could be something that comes in handy for the sort of photographs I plan on taking.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

I has been considering an interchangeable lens camera. The thing is that I'm just a bit wary of the cost of getting a new lens. But I am still somewhat interested in one. As for a DSLR, I don't think I'm quite ready for one (both in terms of being able to use one or for the cost). Also prefer something more compact than a DSLR, which is why I'm still considering a P&S.

A few of the interchangeable lens cameras that I have seen that fall into my price range and pique my interests are:

Nikon J1
Olympus E-PM1 and E-PL1
Pentax Q (5 if I'm not mistaken, the range of 229-239)
Panasonic Lumix GF3

Also if its any help these are a few of the pics I typically take.

http://s268.photobucket.com/user/NYO...?sort=3&page=1
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10247423/
Nice shots, good eye! Since size is an important factor for you, I'd go the interchangeable lens route, that would allow you to add different lenses as your wants / needs / budget grow, not to mention better image quality and low light performance. Another P&S will only hold you back. I don't think there's any more of a learning curve for a DSLR than there is for an ILC, they both have auto or scene modes as well as full manual control. I'm not familiar with any ILC's, but I am partial to Pentax as I've been using their SLR's / DSLR's for the past 30ish years. The "Q" sems like a fine camera, I've also heard the Lumix line is quite good as well. Perhaps someone with more knowledge if ILC's will chime in. You probably can't go wrong with any of the name brand cameras, so do some research to see who has the features and lenses available for your needs.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:53 PM   #8

Well before coming to the forum I had been considering the Pentax Q, since its available brand new at such a low price. I read some reviews and was somewhat discouraged, but I hadn't realized that it was in the 600-800 price range when it first came out. Seems that factored into some of the negativity in a few of the reviews. I checked out the Pentax Q forum here and it seems like most people there like it and the images that I've seen there look very nice. So I think I might just go with it.