Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:10 PM   #1

Default Went from FZ35 to Samsung NX1000 + 30mm pancake

I am still somewhat new to photography. I love my FZ35, easy to use and the versatility and range are just awesome. Image quality seems good to me, though low-light was something I found it to be lacking in, however FZ35's flash is pretty powerful. It was a great starter camera. I decided to graduate to interchangeable lens camera

The NX1000 is much harder to use for me, granted I've only had it 2 days. I just got my 30mm pancake. Thinking of also getting a 50-200mm if I can get one around the 150-200$ mark. The reason I went mirrorless instead of DSLR was portability, I figure I'd use the camera more if it was portable (also a reason why I opted for a 30mm pancake to somewhat replace the 20-50mm).

I got it in a bundle with the tablet, but after what the tablet is worth to me, you can say I got the standard NX1000 kit for 220~250$ tax in. I then bought the 30mm pancake for like ~ 280$ tax in, so 500$ invested so far.

It kind of seems like a lot, especially since my FZ35 cost me half that in 2010. Was this a good buy? Should I go for the 50-200mm or just use my FZ when I know I'll be needing that kind of zoom? I am still eligible to a full refund so if it wasn't such a good buy I can always return it
n-ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:06 PM   #2

What's done is done.Now enjoy your photography.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
What's done is done.Now enjoy your photography.
Yes but it can be undone if it's not a good option. I'm happy with the limited time I've had with my NX1000 but I was also amazed by soso point and shoot digital cameras before I discovered the FZ35, so I don't trust my first instincts about these things yet

Last edited by n-ster; Jul 23, 2013 at 6:28 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:47 AM   #4

did you shoot a lot of 30mm with your fz35? i'd find that a restrictive lens, despite portability. my husband would find it too narrow, where i tend to prefer more than one distance in my shooting.

did you consider the panasonic GX1 (body is now on sale for an amazing price, but i'm thinking that with the power zoom, you'd have 14-42 zoom AND a very small kit. click the third option on this page http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-.../dp/B00604YTFM and see how small that lens is.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:00 PM   #5

I'd be inclined to agree with pcake... a 30mm lens is an odd focal length.. and personally,if I had a prime,it would be the 16mm f/2.4 pancake or maybe the 20mm f/2.8... but hey,we all have different needs- and in and about town as a "candid" lens, the 30mm might fare well...
As for the 20-50, again- I think that was an odd range for a lens- and I'd much rather the "usual" 18-55 lens.

n-ster, Keep us updated with your thoughts and observations on these camera...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:59 PM   #6

Remember it is a ~1.54x crop factor thing from a full frame lens, so the equivalent FoV is of a 50mm (it's actually a ~33mm lens). I like the focal length so far and the technical quality of the images can be outstanding. I'm still struggling to learn how to use the camera like I want and usually need some time to get the settings right. It is better than my 20-50mm (32-80 mm ish FF equiv maybe?) IQ wise I think. I realize 2 huge limitations that annoyed me with this camera over the FZ35 and the reason I still use the FZ35 on most occasions. It's the inability to have a decent zoom and the SEF8A (included flash) sucks. So I bought the SEF20A and probably will jump on a 50-200mm next week as well. Few things I still somewhat prefer over the mirrorless is the easy way to zoom near the shutter button instead of mechanically doing it, I realized the lack of EVF is annoying (less stability, can shoot your pictures more privately etc), the need to change lenses a lot in certain situations and I miss the ease of use of the FZ35. Considering all this, idk how long if at all I will be able to use my NX1000 exclusively.

That said, for portraits and landscapes I do like the NX system A LOT, but again, sometimes I miss the zoom.

Overall, the NX system is achieving the main goal I wanted it to achieve.

- Makes me a better photo taker and makes me more interested in taking them

- Got me into editing the pictures

- I can get much better IQ pictures

- Diversifies the way I take pictures and I finally use out of focus background with good enough bokeh to take away distractions or focus on my subject. I used to never want out of focus elements until now.

For the cost of a bit of practical and ease of use elements. If the flash and zoom lens do what I want, I feel I could REALLY be happy with it in most if not all situations.

EDIT: I want to learn about downsampling and denoising etc, where should I go for that? ie I want specific algorithms like lanczos algorithm or whatnot and which software I can buy and how denoising works and if it could be better when accompanied with downsampling ( I want 4-8MP pixels, 20 MP just seems much) and if I could make these images downsampled further to fit inside my native screen resolution (2560x1440) 3.6~3.7 MP for best viewing experience

Last edited by n-ster; Aug 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:26 AM   #7

i'm very aware that the NX cameras have an apsc sensor, as did my NEX and my canon DSLRs. i find 30mm not wide enough for landscapes or architectural photos, too wide for getting shots of an entire car at a car show where i can't back up and i'm talking about on an apsc sensor. and being a prime, it's not very versatile. i wouldn't find a 30mm ideal for portraits, either. and i wouldn't want a camera without at least a removable EVF - can you get one for your NX?

none of that matters if you love the camera with the lens. that being said, it seems like you may be trying to talk yourself into it - but i certainly could be wrong. there's not a lot of nuance on a board, like there would be in person.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote