Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:43 PM   #1

Default From FZ35/S90 to NEX 6

I just read a recent thread from n-ster, entitled "Went from FZ35 to Samsung NX1000 ..." I didn't want to hijack his thread, so decided to start my own.
Still, when I read his thread I thought, "Hey, that's almost my situation."

I've been shooting casually for a number of years, but have only started to learn about photography a little over the last few years or so and have gotten more interested recently. I have had a few point and shoots and then bought an FZ35 superzoom/bridge and a Canon S90 a few years ago. Nice cameras and I'm sure I never maximized their potential.

More recently I decided I wanted something "better" with a larger sensor and the ability to get better low light shots and play around with depth of field, etc. I didn't think I would want to take a DSLR with me when I travel and I ultimately settled on a Sony NEX 6, which I purchased a few months ago as a bundle with the kit lens (16-50mm) and 55-210mm telezoom and have been enjoying it, when I'm not second guessing myself :-). I then purchased a couple of inexpensive prime lenses (a 19mm and a manual 50mm) and have just purchased a more expensive "normal" fast lens (a 35mm f/1.8 (52.5mm when considering crop factor)).

I put a lot of thought into my decision to purchase the NEX and I didn’t buy it with the idea that my photography would miraculously get better. Nonetheless, I’m still starting to wonder if I made the right choice or if perhaps I should consider making a change while the camera is still a current model. In retrospect, I think maybe I was also a little hasty in my excitement and should not have purchased any prime lenses yet. I still have the opportunity to return the 35mm prime (which is really the only expensive prime), but it is a good, fast lens, and I'm not sure if I should.

I still own the FZ35 and the S90. The NEX is a lot of fun and it is a good camera capable of much more than I am, but I wonder if my images with the NEX are really much better than they were with the FZ35 or S90 (and yes, I am aware that the photographer makes the image, not the camera :-)). Maybe I would have been better served continuing to use them and purchasing a DSLR. Or maybe a micro 4/3, or maybe ...

Making a change at this stage might cost me a few dollars, but it wouldn't be the end of the world and I am willing to do that if it makes sense and is in my best interest long term. Any thoughts or words of wisdom are appreciated.

Last edited by Traveler6; Aug 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM.
Traveler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:17 PM   #2

Not sure how to answer this thread...
To quote...
"but I wonder if my images with the NEX are really much better than they were with the FZ35 or S90"

Only you can really answer that...!

I will add however,that the NEX-6 is a very fine camera- and you have a nice batch of lenses also.
There's no doubt that in the right hands the IQ of the Sony will FAR outstrip the FZ35/S90- though if your output is small prints and/or web viewing at medium sizes,you might not truly appreciate (or need) the advantages of the Sony.

I wonder if it's the convenience of the FZ that your missing..? Or the "pocketability" of the S90..? Going from wide angle to long zoom in a blink (FZ35) does have its appeal- as does not having to carry around lenses on an ILC...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Not sure how to answer this thread...
Well, thank you for trying! :-)

Quote:
quote...
"but I wonder if my images with the NEX are really much better than they were with the FZ35 or S90"

Only you can really answer that...!

I will add however,that the NEX-6 is a very fine camera- and you have a nice batch of lenses also.
There's no doubt that in the right hands the IQ of the Sony will FAR outstrip the FZ35/S90- though if your output is small prints and/or web viewing at medium sizes,you might not truly appreciate (or need) the advantages of the Sony.

I wonder if it's the convenience of the FZ that your missing..? Or the "pocketability" of the S90..? Going from wide angle to long zoom in a blink (FZ35) does have its appeal- as does not having to carry around lenses on an ILC...
I think it is a number of things. Yes, I do sometimes miss the respective conveniences of the FZ35 and the S90. And to date I have not really been printing photos, but that is something I intend to start doing, albeit a large print will probably be the exception rather than the rule (I just don't have enough wall space :-)). But I also think perhaps I expect too much.

I have been struggling a bit with focus issues and at a recent family event was a little disappointed with the number of "keepers" I got, especially indoors, even with a fast lens and experimenting with the flash. When I look at my images from the FZ35 and S90, I tend to focus on the best photos and I probably focus on the bad ones when I look at those taken with the NEX. When I get a nice image with the NEX I find myself asking whether the other cameras would have been capable of the same thing, which is a big waste of effort. In the end, I guess it's a lot of trial and error and I will get better with practice.

I would probably be best served to start enjoying the camera more and questioning my decision less :-).
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:32 PM   #4

Possibly one of the issues with your indoor shots using primes might be the lack of image stabilization in tandem with too slow a shutter speed/low iso...?
Possibly using center area AF might help (keeping your subjects in the center of course..)..? Is the AF assist lamp on..?

But,as you suggest- lots of trial and error/practice etc... you'll get there- and have fun learning...

Why not put yourself into deliberately difficult shooting situations and just practice- not going out with photographs in mind but just trying various settings etc...
Try shooting in a dark bar,a museum which doesn't allow flash,supermarkets,churches etc...
If a given shot doesn't work, try again- and again,until you crack it- discovering the best settings for that given scenario- and you'll remember those settings should a similar situation occur...

It's very important to have confidence in your camera- especially in important family events- and that comes from knowing the camera inside out- becoming a part of your body almost,snapping and adjusting settings without a second thought...
Take the camera everywhere with you- and use it every day until it feels part of you... building confidence all the time...

Last edited by SIMON40; Aug 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:07 AM   #5

Hi, I currently own a fz35 as well. I bought it a few years back without much knowledge on photography. Only recently I got to learn more about photography that I can really make use of the manual controls. I bought the fz35 because a dslr is expensive and it is really a hassle to change lens + the need for dry box etc. After I learned more about photography I realised that that bridge cameras such as fz35 have tiny sensors, which also explains those artifacts on some photos that otherwise would be a perfect shot.

I kinda regret getting it but also thankful that I learned something from it. I hope to change to a better camera in the future but I am still not convinced to buy a dslr next as I think it would be tiring especially for travel, my fz35 was kinda heavy if i hang it around my neck the whole day. I was thinking of getting a high end compact that can slip easily inside my packet or bag.

Currently most high end compact have 1/1.7~1.8 inch sensors which are still small compared to dslr sensors. I am also unsure of the image quality will be a big difference. Kinda interested in the rx100 line which have 1 inch sensors. You can look into it

During my travel I find that high zoom is not a priority, what camera you need depends on what you want to shoot. The s90 is really compact while the nex have big protruding lens may prove to be less compact although much better than dslr(same sensor as well). Well that's my personal taste.
sped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Possibly one of the issues with your indoor shots using primes might be the lack of image stabilization in tandem with too slow a shutter speed/low iso...?
Possibly using center area AF might help (keeping your subjects in the center of course..)..? Is the AF assist lamp on..?

But,as you suggest- lots of trial and error/practice etc... you'll get there- and have fun learning...

Why not put yourself into deliberately difficult shooting situations and just practice- not going out with photographs in mind but just trying various settings etc...
Try shooting in a dark bar,a museum which doesn't allow flash,supermarkets,churches etc...
If a given shot doesn't work, try again- and again,until you crack it- discovering the best settings for that given scenario- and you'll remember those settings should a similar situation occur...

It's very important to have confidence in your camera- especially in important family events- and that comes from knowing the camera inside out- becoming a part of your body almost,snapping and adjusting settings without a second thought...
Take the camera everywhere with you- and use it every day until it feels part of you... building confidence all the time...
Simon,

Thanks. I think that is good advice. Practice and have fun! Sometimes i get a little frustrated, but it is all part of the learning curve. I know it is unrealistic for every shot to be great, or even a "keeper". I would like to get my consistency level up, though.

As to your initial questions, the lens I was using does have stabilization and I was trying to watch shutter soeed, but it may have been helpful if I had increased ISO in a few shots to get a faster shutter. Using a very open aperture to let in more light, I probably didn't have much room for error to get things in focus either.

My brother in law was shooting with a Nikon D300 and had a very nice flash unit attached. The set up was probably 10 times the size of what I was using, but his shots were clear and sharp! I guess I should also mention that he is a very experienced photographer :-).

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. I'll get there, I'm sure. I do, however, have to remind myself that most of the difficulties I will encounter along the way are more than likely the result of my mistakes and do not require new gear to solve the problem.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sped View Post
Currently most high end compact have 1/1.7~1.8 inch sensors which are still small compared to dslr sensors. I am also unsure of the image quality will be a big difference. Kinda interested in the rx100 line which have 1 inch sensors. You can look into it

During my travel I find that high zoom is not a priority, what camera you need depends on what you want to shoot. The s90 is really compact while the nex have big protruding lens may prove to be less compact although much better than dslr(same sensor as well). Well that's my personal taste.
The RX100 and the new rx100mkii are very nice cameras. The NEX with the compact 16-50 power zoom is not nearly as small but still makes for a very compact setup. The 16-50 lens does have some issues, but in my opinion is more than adequate for most situations when I need something small. The S90 is still great for situations when even the NEX with power zoom is larger than I want, but I could see replacing theS 90 with an RX100 or a successor sometime in the future if I find that I continue to regularly go to my S90 for its compact size.

Another thing I have considered is getting a small pocketable travel zoom and carrying it with me along with the NEX with the 16-50 and one fast prime. I usually don't need the long reach, but every once in a while it is nice to have and i could just grab the travel zoom and not have to change lenses. I don't mind carrying a small bag with me as I usually have other things I need to carry anyway, like a wallet, keys, extra batteries, snacks, etc. As long as things don't get too heavy, it should be fine. In situations when I know I need a zoom (like if I were going to a zoo) I could take the 55-210 lens for the NEX, but otherwise that could stay at home (or in the hotel) and the pocket zoom could take its place.

Just some additional thinking "out loud".
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:43 AM   #8

Here is my suggestion: post photos in the appropriate genre forum - people, landscape, etc.... say what you don't like about them and ask for advice on how to improve. Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. The best way to improve your photography is to get good advice from people that shoot what you want to shoot and do it well. Look for photos here and elsewhere from people that shoot what you want to shoot and do it well - send them a PM and ask for advice. Here's the key to that concept:

Don't worry about what brand the advice givers use - just because someone uses Pentax or Oly or Canon or Nikon, it doesn't matter - it's much more important that they have experience shooting the type of photography you are having issues with. It's a bonus if they use the same gear, but it's much more important that they actually shoot the type of photos you want to produce.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:05 PM   #9

Travler6

FWIW I would suggest just sitting down and learn the NEX inside and out.

Once you know that thing inside and out, and you've tried out different stuff, then you'll make your own decision on whats important to you in a follow-up camera.

And in the meantime I'm sure you're going to get a lot of keepers.

The way I look at cameras is how many keepers I get out of it. Once I get a few keepers out of a camera, I stop thinking about how much it cost me . . . <grin>

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:44 PM   #10

John, thanks. Good advice. I really don't have a single genre of photos that I have locked into, but can certainly benefit from input from others on the various types of images I tend to take.

Tacticdesigns, I have gotten some excellent images with the NEX and that is always a good feeling :-). I have learned a lot about the camera and am continuing to do so, but I I have to say there are a ton of features available and sometimes simplicity is best. It is not uncommon to be in a moment that requires quick action and to have my brain just freeze :-) That's where knowing the camera well and spending a lot of time experimenting becomes helpful.