Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Default Change from a DSLR

I am finding I don't use my DSLR much these days. It is a 550d and was thinking of selling it. I only have one lens for it, a 50mm.

I have been looking at maybe getting a Fuji x100. It looks so much more portable etc.

What are your views on the X100 vs the 550d taking into consideration I am not one for using lots of lenses and do like primes. Low light is a must as I do take pics indoors.

What other alternatives would you recommend?

Last edited by Koolpc; Aug 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:08 PM   #2

For low light use you could do an awful lot worse than an X100- or consider the X100s which has several upgrades- not least quicker AF...
If you like primes (who doesn't...!) and don't mind changing them- maybe consider the X-pro1 or the X-E1 also...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:52 PM   #3

I am sort of in the same boat. I have found myself leaving my Pentax DSLR behind most of the time lately. Too many lens choices, for one thing. If I set the camera up for one type of shooting, something else comes along, and it is way too much trouble to take the whole kit every time. Then, of course, it picks up dust. Sure, I can clean it, and I can post process it out where it is a problem, but both involve extra work, and detract from enjoyment of photography.
So, it's forward to the past for me- I'm getting a fixed lens camera. Somewhat updated from my ten (that long!) year old Minolta D7hi, but it seems pretty similar in concept, just more of everything the Minolta had.
Have a Fuji XS-1 coming sometime this week. Not the smallest camera, but a lot less than the SLR with a couple lenses. IQ should be more than adequate for what I do. Should also be nice not to have to work around the limitations of the SLR shutter.
brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:27 AM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
I am finding I don't use my DSLR much these days. It is a 550d and was thinking of selling it. I only have one lens for it, a 50mm.

I have been looking at maybe getting a Fuji x100. It looks so much more portable etc.

What are your views on the X100 vs the 550d taking into consideration I am not one for using lots of lenses and do like primes. Low light is a must as I do take pics indoors.

Get the Fuji. You'll love it. It's how a camera should be. Best .jpeg inage quality around, in my opinion. The RAW files really gives headroom

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post

You can opt for Canon EOS 550D camera, which has no big difference when compared to the Fuji X100 which also covers plenty of attractive features. The Canon EOS 550D clicks the real photos & has good video mode which supports 720p and 1080p HD video.
You can also consider a camera which excels in low light as the cameras such as:- Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 & Nikon Coolpix P7700. The camera prices range for all are different but the these cameras snap natural-looking photos without a flash.
alice-sood is offline   Reply With Quote