Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:07 AM   #11

The Sony A58 is a fine camera, but neither of those lenses would be particularly good for what you want to do. You'd need a macro lens with a focal length of 50, 60, 70mm in order to get the close focusing distance you need yet still be within an arm's length of the subject to make minor adjustments. What you're doing isn't macrophotography, but it's close enough that conventional lenses wouldn't do well at it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:49 PM   #12

Ok so after much thought and consideration and what is available locally I think I have it down to a few choices. I live on an island off the west coast of canada so buy local as often as possible to support our local economy. I am willing to pay more to do so. I capped it at $800 or so.

My criteria that I was looking for in reviews and YouTube videos:
#1 was ease of use
#2 quality of construction
#3 user interface and functionality

Canon EOS Rebel SL1
Canon Rebel T3i
Sony Alpha SLT-A58K
Nikon D3200

Olympus PEN E-PL5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5
Zerandise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:40 PM   #13

I presume that the deal on the Canon 5d fell through.

I also presume that Future Shop is a local merchant.

The Future Shop website lists some macro lenses, the least expensive of which is the Sony 50mm f/2.8, which costs $449.99. That, plus the least expensive Sony body at Future Shop, puts your total at $949.98, which is well past your budget cap.

The only other macro lenses listed on the Future Shop website with appropriate focal lengths for your purposes, are $150 to $210 more expensive, and are only available for Canon bodies. The least expensive Canon body is the T3i at $529.99, which is $30 more than the Sony A58 with the 18-55 kit lens.

All things considered, a Sony system is the best solution if you confine your selection to Future Shop, and it's still more than you wanted to pay.

You can try shooting with the A58 and the 18-55 kit lens, but I don't think you'll be satisfied with the results and will want to get the 50/2.8 macro lens, but you can try.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:24 PM   #14

Yes the 5d looks like a no go I fear.

Actually I ended up finding 3 rather good local shop's I had not known about. Pricing is a bit more than FS but the knowledge is far greater. One of the local dealers has the A58 for $519. He also has a used yet great shape Minolta Maxxum AF 50mm Macro F/2.8 for Sony Alpha for $130. I have yet to do much research on the lens.

On a side note I would like to thank you for informative responses. Each one with reasoning behind the advise. It is a very refreshing change of pace. It really helps when trying to form an opinion.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:55 PM   #15

The Minolta 50/2.8 Macro is identical to the Sony with the exception of the engraving. Sony bought the camera business away from Konica-Minolta, so all lenses for the old Minolta AF cameras work fine on Sony Alpha camera bodies.

An excellent resource for all A-Mount (Minolta's and now Sony's AF mount) lenses and accessories is Dyxum.com. This is their info on the Minolta 50/2.8 Macro. There were three versions of that Minolta lens (not counting the current Sony version), the only difference being features, not optics.

You might want to find out what other old Minolta lenses he's got lying around. There are some gems out there that are available for great prices.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:48 AM   #16

All I can say is holy crap. So last night a friend dropped off her Fuji x-m1. I understand that my composition is off and I dont know much about lighting yet but holy crap. The equipment you are working with changes your entire view, skill level and abilities. I know two very important things now. 1. I DO need a macro lens. That is now an absolute must. 2. I the fuji x-m1 is an amazing front runner for a beginner. I am sure all others do just as well and it is most likely just the newness of what I am doing.

One thing she said was that this camera has great jpg so shooting in raw isn't a must for post production. Since I know little about photo manipulation this is attractive to me. Based on the couple photo's I took I think I agree. That being said this is my first hands on with a quality camera.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:17 AM   #17

Here are the first pic's I snapped. The resolution is amazing. I took a few of my razor's as well. They are still on the camera. I see much change in my view's of photography and can see that my interest will grow exponentially. The pic's are just of random items.
Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:21 AM   #18

2 more.
Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:45 AM   #19

The drawback of this camera is no lens selection really. Tho I could use an adapter to adapt to other lenses? Any big drawbacks to this? Once again thanks so much for the help.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:35 PM   #20

A light tent, good lighting, and an ability to focus closely, should be your primary requirements. Resolution isn't as important since your end result will be for display on webpages. But because of the nature of your subject, what's really important is the ability to resolve detail, not just in the center of the image, but also on the edges. That's the kind of thing that anything short of a dSLR and a Macro lens might let you down.