Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
"Gas Cap" wasn't in the Index.

"Gas" wasn't in the Index.

My point was that people still need manuals, regardless of how good or bad they are.
I wasn't disagreeing with that point.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:01 PM   #12

If I want buy a camera (or other thing), I download PDF for printing and reading. I hate user manuals, 23 languages, in dwarf size. Also PDFs on CDROMs.

I have two excellent (and cheap) CANON printers with DUPLEX printing, ink cadridges (original price € 8.99-€13.99) are refilled (and chip resetted) for € 0.20 (!) each.

To print a manual (100-300 pages, sized A4 = 20cmx30cm) takes ONE mouseclick. Price of 500 sheet paper (1.000 pages) = € 2.99. After half an hour or an hour double sided printed manual is ready, now a hot-melted cover ... all okay. Price for the manual paper + ink + cover ~ € 0.50 + € 0.40 + € 0.50 = € 1.40 / $ 1.80 for 150 pages.

Last edited by DonalDuc; Aug 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:37 PM   #13

I'm grateful my last two cameras came with a nice small manual - no more than 6 inches or so high. Fits easily into a camera bag and much easier to consult when I need it than printouts on 8x5 x 11 paper or online. PDFs are great to look at prior to buying a camera. But I prefer the small manual that came with my cameras for looking up things I need to find - I don't always have a computer handy when I want to see something and using a smartphone to read PDFs is not my cup of tea either. I like having the option.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:10 PM   #14

JohnG- and those two cameras were....??
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:49 PM   #15

My last two cameras came with full printed manuals. Pentax K-5 and Pentax K-5ii (plus all he extra K-5iis info in same manual). Nice bed time reading material but due to bulk I do not carry them with me. I also downloaded the pdf files from Pentax website and find once I read through the manuals the first time it was easier to find what I need in a pdf via the search and find box

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
My last two cameras came with full printed manuals. Pentax K-5 and Pentax K-5ii (plus all he extra K-5iis info in same manual). Nice bed time reading material but due to bulk I do not carry them with me. I also downloaded the pdf files from Pentax website and find once I read through the manuals the first time it was easier to find what I need in a pdf via the search and find box

dave
I have the Pentax K-5 and I do not find the manual bulky. It's fits nicely in my average sized LowePro bag's front pocket....and I've used it to consult....in forests, at drag strips...bird sanctuary's....it's so useful I wouldn't leave home without it.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:13 AM   #17

I NEVER need a (printed) manual in my camera bag!
I KNOW all (necessary) functions of my cameras.

If I make photos I do not need camera manual, Playboy are financial news.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:29 AM   #18

Even the smallest manual is bigger than a smartphone, and a smartphone can contain more than one manual, and you can use them easier and better on a smartphone than you can use the printed manuals. And you can store all your manuals in the Cloud (SkyDrive, iCloud, DropBox, Google Drive, etc.), and have them all available for any device you might happen to have access to at any given time.

All I need is a manual that tells me how to unpack and assemble, sort of like IKEA, only better. I'll get everything else I need from the internet.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:42 AM   #19

TCAV - I'm not sure why you write posts such that there is no room for a different opinion. Instead of saying "I find it easier to look at a PDF on smartphone" you make statements as if no one could possibly find a printed manual easier.

Some of us prefer printed manuals. I have a smart phone, I have PDF manuals and I still prefer the printed manual. Clearly some others also prefer print. And, it's OK that you have a different opinion than I do.

To me, having a printed manual and PDF allows both types to get what they want. Those that don't use printed manual can use PDF on whatever media device they prefer and those that want a portable printed manual have that option.
I understand manufacturers may not provide printed manuals because it's a cost. That doesn't mean those of us that want one are wrong for wanting one.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:28 AM   #20

Huhuhuhu, I have no smartphone, I need no smartphone ... using my SHARP SH80F only for making 3D photos / 3D videos.

Pooooor people they NEEEEEED a smartphone :-( ... slaves of technology.

PS: printed manuals are nice for reading at WC! You must learn to use this time / these times for learning, hehe.