Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:36 AM   #1

Default FZ-150 intelligent auto exposure

Hi,
Is there a way of setting intelligent auto's exposure to about -1ev, so that it starts up in this condition; it's pictures seem to, usually, be overexposed somewhat.
Thanks,
.........john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:06 AM   #2

When using "iA" irrespective of where the Exp' Comp' was prior to switching off, it will revert to a standard exposure when switched back on- probably as a means of safety- should one forget to set it back..!
I'm surprised you seem to be experiencing over-exposure in iA- mine is supremely accurate ALL of the time- in fact,I'd say it's one of the best "metering" cameras I've ever had..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:19 PM   #3

Hi Simon,
Well, I haven't shot a lot with it, as I usually go to Manual; but yes...... iA does seem to be a little overexposed on the default setting. Could it be something else? Maybe I should reset the camera to the factory defaults and try again?
Thanks,
..... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Sep 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:05 PM   #4

You could try restoring to "Default" though there's little manipulation offered in iA- just image size and picture effects.
Are the images appearing "over exposed" on the LCD- or when downloaded to computer..?
I say this as the cameras LCD can give an "over enthusiastic" impression of what you've just shot- often causing one to shoot another with a bit of "-" exp comp dialed in- only to find the initial shot was just fine when downloaded on to the computer..!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:33 PM   #5

Hi Simon,
It's on the computer screen, and the LCD. (They look about the same.) When I depress the shutter halfway, to focus, the LCD looks perfect, but after shooting the preview is lighter. It could just be me ...... I do prefer my pictures a tad under exposed, if anything. I could post a picture, if you tell me what scene you would like.
....... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Sep 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM. Reason: clarity
Old Sep 3, 2013, 4:16 AM   #6

Go for it...
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:55 PM   #7

OK. Here's 2 examples.
In each case there is a shot taken with no exposure change, and one taken at -2/3.
http://shinnen.ca/P1010901a.JPG
http://shinnen.ca/P1010902a.JPG
http://shinnen.ca/P1010903a.JPG
http://shinnen.ca/P1010904a.JPG
I know, there's not a big difference, but I prefer the -2/3.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 4:36 PM   #8

Personally,I think the std' is the better exposure- though in the first examples it's quite a tricky scenario for a decent balanced exposure,with extreme light coming through on the left side and fairly subdued light on the other- compromises on such "high contrast" images is inevitable,with a slight shift to the left or right changing the overall exposure greatly.

I wouldn't say the images you posted are over-exposed,but if you prefer the darker ones,then fine- so long as the exposure's consistent it's not really a problem.

What would concern me more,however,is the dark corners on your images displayed here... is your lens hood on properly..?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:53 PM   #9

Hi Simon,
Yes..... alright. The one picture was probably not a good example, due to the light coming from the left. However, I've taken quite a few shots showing similar results. And I haven't tried to bring up the detail in the bright areas of the non-adjust pictures, and compare it to the adjusted ones ... which, for me, is really the point of the whole exercise.... capturing as much detail as possible. Frankly, I don't prefer the underexposed images either; but I 'think' they allow more flexibility wrt adjusting exposure.
Honestly, I can easily dumb down the exposure when I fire up the camera, and I almost invariably use manual for really critical shots, so it's kind of a moot point. As you say, it's probably just a matter of preference. I was just hoping that there would be a simple exposure adjustment that could be saved.
As always, I appreciate your help.
...... john
P.S. The corner shadows are from using an old telephoto lens housing as a hood, which has 58mm threads, for filters and a cover. If I zoom at all, the darkness disappears.