Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:47 AM   #1

Default Canon 70D vs Nikon 7100

Hello, I got 4 days to decide between the canon 70d or the Nikon 7100, as my sister in law will come back from USA, and i need to buy it online and send to her hotel. Im aware that canon's Lens are pretty much cheaper than Nikkon, but i want to know what you guys think about the body ... Thanx
felipy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:46 AM   #2

I wouldn't agree that Canon lenses are necessarily cheaper. There are situations in each system where one system is more expensive than another. The 70d has some new technology in the sensor and focus systems. That can be promising for video. It's still a bit unknown how stills are impacted. The reality is it is a new camera that is just hitting the streets now. So, it's unknown what glitches, if any, will be involved.

Is video an important part of how you will use the camera? Have you determined what lens(es) you need to accomplish your goal so you can price out a solution in each system?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:53 AM   #3

does your sister-in-law have any experience with either brand? which kits are you considering?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I wouldn't agree that Canon lenses are necessarily cheaper. There are situations in each system where one system is more expensive than another. The 70d has some new technology in the sensor and focus systems. That can be promising for video. It's still a bit unknown how stills are impacted. The reality is it is a new camera that is just hitting the streets now. So, it's unknown what glitches, if any, will be involved.

Is video an important part of how you will use the camera? Have you determined what lens(es) you need to accomplish your goal so you can price out a solution in each system?

Yes video is important as i travel i always record tons of videos, but about the lens... B&H got a Kit with the 18-55 plus 70-250mm for the same price of the 135mm kit!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
does your sister-in-law have any experience with either brand? which kits are you considering?
I will buy it online, she will just bring it to me. Im planing buying the B&H 18-55 and 70-250mm kit. From online videos ... the 7100 looks like more professional finish than 70D , more sturdy i mean... Im never used a DSLR before, i sold and old sx50HS to start to learn to take pictures manually, and im in a deep doubt about which "brand" and "model".
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Some of Canon's lenses are better than Nikon's equivalent lenses, but some of Nikon's lenses are better than Canon's equivalents. Both bodies are excellent, so it comes down to what lenses you'll need.

What do you want to shoot?

Last edited by TCav; Sep 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:32 PM   #7

Both good and not so good glass is available for both the 70D and the D7100... and to be honest,I don't think there's much difference in price for each equivalent lens...
As for the bodies... both offer a very good spec- fast frame rates,good AF modules (though maybe Nikon edges it here..?),good high iso performance (maybe Canon sneaks an edge here...?) and good build quality.
If you'll be shooting quite a bit of video, you'll probably appreciate Canons tilt/swivel LCD- not to mention the dual pixel sensor technology,which from some early video samples,seems to perform really well with regards AF...

All said and done,however- both bodies performance depends greatly on the lens attached- both in IQ and in the AF speed department,so whilst comparing bodies is fine (and I guess fully justified) the glass used is equally important...

Some early video samples from the 70D... and a basic preview...
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d/7

Last edited by SIMON40; Sep 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:59 PM   #8

Again,
On paper the 70d seems like a good camera since you are interested in video. The 55-250 (there is no 70-250mm lens) is a very good consumer grade zoom. The 18-55STM is a very good kit lens as well. It's a nice starter kit. But, the caveat is: the 70d is new to market with new sensor technology (and a new AF system). That's a gamble. Very often when any manufacturer has new technology like that there are bumps. Those bumps hit first adapters harder. SO, here's your potential problem: what are you going to do if one of those bumps requires you to send the camera in. Your camera will have a USA warranty but you don't live in the US. Small risk for a camera that is past that stage. But, quite a big risk for you. Of course, maybe I'm wrong and the warranty transfers. Even if it does, I'm not a big fan of being an early adopter for new technology. Don't get me wrong - I shoot Canon and love the system. You just have to figure out how much tolerance for risk you have.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:21 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies, ive been reading a lot about the two,

and things like this make me think that the 70d is the one:http://www.michaelthemaven.com/?post...so-noise-chart
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:06 PM   #10

First, the 70D has a 20MP sensor, while the D7100 has a 24MP sensor. There's no way to make a direct comparison visually between images captured from the two cameras, especially via the limited resolution of a webpage. Either or both would have to be downsampled which could favor one or the other arbitrarily.

The best comparison is one that would measure the signal-to-noise ratio of each of the two cameras independently, and compare the objective results. That's what DxOMark does. Click on the Measurements tab, then the SNR 18% link. What you'll see there is that the difference in the signal-to-noise ratios between the two is miniscule, but if you want to say that one is better than the other, then it's the Nikon. But on top of that, the Nikon has greater resolution, so the individual errant pixels will be smaller in images captured with the Nikon, and therefore less obtrusive.

But the real difference comes on the next chart: Dynamic Range. This is a measure of the difference between the brightest and dimmest portions of a captured image, and here, the Nikon runs rings around the Canon, especially at the lower end of the scale where you'd likely do most of your shooting.

So, on the face of it, the D7100 is a better camera than the Canon 70D, based entirely on objective tests of sensor performance.

But if you can't get good quality lenses for the subjects you want to shoot, then the quality of the sensor doesn't matter.

So, what do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote