Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1

Default Travel Camera to Replace my Canon S95

This is long because I've been researching and playing with cameras for 3 days & nights.

I dropped my travel camera (DSLR) a few nights ago. I had already planned on replacing with a CSC (compact system camera) but I'm not ready to buy yet. The timing is a big deal because my next trip starts in 8 days. So I bring the S95 or buy a new travel camera.

The main feature any new camera must have is noticeably better image quality than the S95 when viewed on a computer screen, especially in shadows and at high ISO (which is 200 for the S95) or I can't justify the purchase. Two stops improvement throughout the zoom range is minimum, 3 stops at best quality focal length ideal.

I've concluded other fixed lens cameras like the Pany LX7 and Nikon P7700 have better IQ than the S95 but not enough for me to buy one. The Sony RX-100 seems to have the best IQ but I ruled it out because it's grip and operation would drive me nuts.

I then looked at non-M43 ILCs. (If my next CSC is a M43 it will also be my travel camera so I can't see buying a travel camera for only one trip). A Nex-6 & kit zoom would do if the price was 50% less. The EOS M with kit zoom and updated firmware would do if I can still find one at the deeply slashed prices that started here 2 weeks ago.

It seems my choice is S95 or EOS M. What do you think?

=== Other Requirements ===

Brands. I live in Thailand. Non grey market brands are Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic. The status of Ricoh/Pentax is unclear. Samsung is hard to find. For a choice of used equipment it's a 3-4 hour trip.

Price. Prices here are higher than the US but it's not uniform. Fuji prices are ridiculous. I can spend up to the price of a Sony RX-100 but would prefer to spend about 75% of that.

Must Haves:

Zoom: 28mm equivalent to about 90mm equivalent or better

Manual modes (time/Fstop) with manual control of speed/Fstop in those modes, manual control of EV and white balance on a menu reached in one button push. By 'manual control' I mean a dedicated or programmable wheel of some sort.

Size: must fit in a big cargo pants pocket.
Weight: less than about a pound.
Screen: enough for framing on a sunny day (the S95 barely qualifies)
Misc: +/- 2 EV

Nice to have:
Screen: tilt or articulate.
Lens: auto lens shutter doors instead of a lens cap
Misc: +/- 3 EV
Viewfinder: Mostly to steady the camera in low light.

Last edited by ItDontMeanAThing; Sep 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:45 PM   #2

In case it's not clear, my considering the NEX and EOS M are not related to my intent to buy a CSC because I've rejected both for anything but a travel camera.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:43 AM   #3

Why would the RX100's "operation" drive you nuts..?
If I was to go the way of compact/mirrorless, I'd probably go with Olympus for the built in stabilizer...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Why would the RX100's "operation" drive you nuts..?
If I was to go the way of compact/mirrorless, I'd probably go with Olympus for the built in stabilizer...
Right now I'm looking for a travel camera with specific criteria. All the Olympus models with better image quality than my S95 are either too expensive or the IQ difference isn't enough to justify a purchase.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:22 AM   #5

The IQ in say an e-pl5 is FAR superior to an S95- and in the labs is also superior to the EOS-M- never mind a better lens range and faster autofocus...etc...
Yes,it's more expensive than an EOS-M- but I guess it depends on whether IQ is driving the purchase or your budget...
As for pocketable with improved IQ over the S95, I'd suggest it's only the RX100 (or RX100 II) that would give you a reasonable jump up in IQ, though at a cost equal to the e-pl5... but it is small,discreet and bijou...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
The IQ in say an e-pl5 is FAR superior to an S95- and in the labs is also superior to the EOS-M- never mind a better lens range and faster autofocus...etc...
The e-pl5 is a M43. I ruled out all M43s in the OP. Probably should have mentioned that again in post #4. It doesn't matter now because I've purchased a EOS M.