Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:48 AM   #1

Default Canon PowerShot S110 or SX280 or something completely different

I was thinking of upgrading my Canon PowerShot A550 and was looking for some advice.

The camera will mainly be used for holiday photo's (landscapes) and close ups of plants / flowers, I was thinking of another Canon as I've been happy with my A550 and probably spending about 250 and sticking with a compact. So any advice on;

Is it worth upgrading?
Is 250 too much, too little to spend on a decent camera?
Which of these Canon's would be better?
Should I be considering something completely different?
Richard789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:02 PM   #2

G'day Richard

Firstly - welcome to Steves ... a place where you can come to for advice and 'confusion'

My first thought is "if you're happy with a Canon & know the overall menu operations, then stick with a canon". However from time to time we all do change our preferences [motor cars, footy teams etc]

Thigs have changed over the 5 years sice the A550 was released - zooms have become longer & the megapixels have become larger. Your 550 has an eyepiece as well as an LCD screen on the back panel > whereas most of today's little cameras have only the rear LCD panel

I would say that if the SX280 appeals to you, then go for it > it has a much more powerful zoom lens [watch out for camera shake over 12x zoom]

Hope this helps a bit
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:03 AM   #3

As a long time Canon P & S user ( A430, S5IS, SX150) I recently did some research and purchased the Nikon L820. Other than the great quality of the pictures and the ease of use, a feature I like is the use of regular AA batteries. This later might discourage some from the camera but I use rechargeables which is not much different than having a dedicated battery and charger.
SophieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 3:46 PM   #4

Given the A550 only had a 4x zoom lens, would I be right in thinking that a large zoom range is not a requirement..? If so,the S110 is a great little compact camera.
If you fancy some zoom power,then the 270/80's worth a look- though there are one or two reports of "bugs" with regards this model and maybe requires further investigation.
Others in the mould of the SX280 are Panasonics TZ30/40 and Sony's HX20/30.
Just beware- large zooms in small bodies have their compromises- and outright image quality is usually the main one.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 3:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm researching a few more models. I'd like more zoom that the x4 of my current camera but a huge zoom isn't a priority. Hadn't thought much about batteries as my A550 uses AA batteries and it's easy to carry spare rechargeable, good battery life is a priority as I'm constantly infuriated by the battery life on mobile phones.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:52 AM   #6

Default New Short List

Had a look at the Canons I was originally thinking of in store the other day and didn't really like the ergonomics of them, I definitely prefer a camera with a bit of a lug to hold on to. So, a completely new short list;

Nixon L620, seems like a very user friendly point and shoot camera, AA batteries are a plus for a holiday camera as it's easy to pick up spares, doesn't feel quite as solid as some of the others but then it is a cheaper option.

Lumix TZ40 or Sony HX50, both seem like very good little compacts with similar specs to the Canon I was first looking at.

Is there any real noticeable difference in the image quality I'll get from these 3 of features that would make one of them a better choice?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:43 PM   #7

I'm not sure there'd be much difference in overall IQ of the three- though the L620 isn't a quick shooter- with AF and shot to shot times considerably slower than the other two- especially when using flash... a common downside to AA power- and the battery life on the L620 is not brilliant either...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote